30 May 2012

CD12, Cycle 6: I keep forgetting what cycle. Also, spermatoceles.

Since I have a couple minutes...

I really should update my main blog. It's been weeks now! WEEKS! Like, three of them!

Since I don't have that kind of time, though (despite all the cool things I want to tell everyone about), I thought I'd just update here real quick and save TCC for tomorrow.

Anyway, I'm on CD12 now, I believe, and we're just trucking along. I actually forgot to take my temp this morning, lol. I'm doing OPKs this cycle, and we're going to follow the SMEP to a certain extent. If we don't follow it by the letter, then whatever.

There is one new concern, though. Talk of a possible complication both with this whole journey and DH's overall health.

DH had hernia surgery when he was an early teenager, which left him with a pretty cool scar and some possible damage to his urological region. Recently, he's been experiencing some pain below the surgical site (it's right over his pubic bone, the scar), and part of the pain involves his vas deferens and possibly his epididymis.

After a bit of research, he concluded that it might be a spermatocele, basically a benign fluid- (often sperm-!) filled cyst that typically extends from the epididymis. They can sit near the top or behind the testicle, separate from the testis. They're more a nuisance than anything, but can become painful.

So not we're caught with that situation. Stubborn man that he is, DH is refusing to check anything until after this cycle, starting with a SA and, only if that's abnormal, getting this possible spermatocele issue checked. It might also be a hernia, which is leading me to push him even harder to go see a doctor (and the possibility that it might be testicular cancer -- hey, gotta leave all options open! -- is pushing me harder), but he's digging in his heels.

Men. Geezus.

Spermatoceles, while not directly the cause of a type of infertility, can cause a reduced sperm count. However, the surgery to remove it can cause even further damage as it may damage the epididymis or the vas deferens, so it's typically left alone unless it's causing pain. They're also really common -- about 3 in 10 men will experience spermatoceles in their lifetime, with the possibility increasing with age.
Excision of the spermatocele in more than 50% of our patients caused permanent deterioration of their spermiogramm. The number of sperms was reduced to less than the half of the preoperative counts. Obstruction of the epididymal duct caused by postoperative cicatrices is thought to be the reason. In consequence of these results operative treatment of spermatoceles should be though over. Our series clearly shows that the dissection of a spermatocele by no means should be practiced by way of treating infertility.

Dissection of spermatoceles and fertility

So we're just going to leave it alone, and DH will have everything checked if we don't conceive this cycle. Not just his SA, either; I won't let him go halfway with that. :P Better to find out that it's a spermatocele than something else!

Anyway, that's how things are. Chugging along, trying desperately to get some leisure mixed in with these crazy workweeks. Seriously, I've been swamped. Hopefully it'll slow down soon... :)

10 comments:

  1. I hope your husband's penis is fine!

    I have a friend that had a hard time TTC, but she got pregnant the first cycle in which she used OPKs. Probably a coincidence, but it could be your coincidence too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha! Thanks, I do, too!

    And we've used OPKs once cycle before; hopefully it'll help us this time around. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ugh. What is it with men and doctors?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't freakin' know! I'd be there in a heartbeat, even if it meant inconveniencing myself, if only to find out what it was. Grrrrr.

    ReplyDelete
  5. hey doll. Please email me. I want to send you some info to show your hubby. nicola.demers@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good luck with using the OPKs! I produced very little EWCM so I relied on those to figure out when I ovulated. A coworker of mine got pregnant on the first try using them (luck b*tch), it took me several cycles and some bumps in the road before everything worked in our favor. Like how the silicone based lube we had been using was absolutely the worst thing to be using while TTC (imagine how stupid I felt at that point). I invested in PreSeed and I do feel like it helped.

    I hope you get some down time to relax and I hope the pain your husband is experiencing isn't anything too serious, and I totally agree with you, at the first sign of pain, I'd be right into the doctor. Men are so stubborn!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ahahaha, I'm so glad I'm not the only one thinking "lucky b*tch". ;) Oh, and thanks for the PreSeed thing! We've been using no lube the past few months, and while I do get some EWCM, it's scant compared to what I could (or should, in this case) be getting. So I'm hoping that plus the OPKs will help.

    They really are! We made a deal, though, fortunately... he's going to get checked in July no matter what. I wish he'd do it sooner, but do you have any idea how long it took for him to get a physical with my insistence? Like... years! WTF!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm still trying to convince my husband to go in for a physical. It's been almost 6 years since he's been to a Dr, but he's convinced that he's healthy no matter what I tell him. I'd just rather have on paper that I'm healthy than just figure since nothing seems to be wrong then I must be healthy. Soooooo frustrating!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That IS frustrating! I had the same battle with DH, then I finally told him that if I got a physical (bloodwork included -- I hate needles), he had to get one. I got mine in February 2011, and he got his just a few months ago. Soooo... it took a while, but I was at least able to hold that over his head. "Hey, I got it done! What gives?!" ;)

    ETA: Oh, and he STILL hasn't gotten his bloodwork done!! ARGH NOW I NEED TO PESTER HIM ABOUT THAT

    ReplyDelete
  10. With the area and the fact your TTC, you'd think he'd be eager to get checked out. At the same time, I can sympathize. Speaking as someone who's spent most of her life seeing doctors for one thing or another, I personally wish this whole TTC journey would get over with already so I have one less reason to potentially need a doctor!

    ReplyDelete

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *