25 October 2012

Let's play a few old wives' games!

We're having a couple ultrasounds in November: On the 30th for a full anatomy scan, and on the 21st for an elective gender scan, which we're having in Florida so our families can come and find out with us. ;)

Since we have some time to wait, and lawd knows there's nothing more fun than trying to predict, here are some old wives' tales and, based on my experiences thus far, what they're saying we're going to have!

HeartburnIf a pregnant woman experiences heartburn throughout the 9 months of pregnancy, she’ll have a baby born with a full head of hair.

Nope! No heartburn here. While this isn't a sex-specific tale, I thought it was funny considering my mom's experience: Heartburn with me (full head of hair), heartburn with my sister (no hair... did she leave it behind?!), no heartburn with my brother (bald, bald, bald). :)

Heart Rate
If the baby’s heart rate is above 140 bpm, it is said that the baby will be a girl.  If it is under 140 bpm, then it will be a boy.

My last two heart rate checks were 146 and "in the 150s".

PREDICTION: Baby Girl

Shape of Belly
If you are carrying high with a big, round belly, you are having a girl.  If you are carrying low with a smaller belly that sticks straight out, it’s a boy.  

Of course, this is only thus far. So I can't really say! It feels pretty big and round already, even if it is small (but hey, I'm only 14 weeks, mmm-kay?)

PREDICTION: Baby Girl ??

Ring Test
Using a string, hang your wedding ring over your pregnant belly.  You are having a girl if the ring swings back and forth  and it’s a boy if it swings in a circle.   

Haven't tried yet. :)

PREDICTION: Inconclusive


Shape of Mom’s Face
When your face gets fuller and rounder when pregnant, it means you’re going to have a girl.  If your face is long and narrow, it’s a boy.  

I've had someone comment that my face is fuller, which did little for my ego, of course. :P That's the only comment to my face save for it being flushed, so...?

PREDICTION: Baby Girl ??

Key Test
This test involves a key.  If you pick up a key at the top (the roundest part), you are going to have a boy.  If you pick up the key at the bottom (smallest part), you are going to have a girl.  If you happen to grab the key in the middle, congrats, it’s twins!

Haha, I've always picked up from the roundest part! I've never known anyone to pick it up by the other end, actually...

PREDICTION: Baby Boy

Mayan Tale
The Mayan tale adds the mothers age at conception and the year of conception.  If the result is a even number then mom is having a girl.  If the result is an odd number then a boy is on the way!

27 + 2012 = 2039!

PREDICTION: Baby Boy

Drano Test
The drano test combines a tablespoon of Drano and urine together.  If the mixture turns green, it’s a girl.  If it turns blue, it’s a boy.  

I refuse to do this test because of its possible toxicity. There's a similar one with baking soda, though: If it fizzes when you add your urine, it's a boy; if it doesn't fizz, it's a girl. Mine had no fizz at all... made me wonder if the baking soda was any good, but nope!

PREDICTION: Baby Girl

Acne
If you have acne while pregnant, it’s a girl.  It’s thought that acne during pregnancy is caused by the extra hormones.  

Ughhhh. Acne all over, especially my chest. My face is greasier, too. That ain't no glow, people.

PREDICTION: Baby Girl

Cravings
People believe that if you are craving salty foods while pregnant, you can count on having a boy.  If you crave sweets, fruit, and orange juice, you are having a little girl.

Chocolate, donuts, jelly beans, ice cream, Reese's cups, and maybe some fruit for breakfast... what do YOU think? :P

PREDICTION: Baby Girl

Smell of Garlic
If a pregnant woman eats a clove of garlic and the smell does not come out of her pores, it’s a girl.  If the smell seeps out of her pores, it’s a boy.   

I can't speak for garlic, but I can speak for Burger King veggie burgers, which usually make me smell funky for a few days. I had one over the weekend (MMM), and nothing, which was VERY strange. So if I swap garlic for a BK Veggie?

PREDICTION: Baby Girl

Skin under Left Eye
The eye test is when a “V” or “branches” appear when you pull down the skin under your left eye.  If you see a “V” or “branches” in the white part, you’re having a girl.


This was a weird one. What's it supposed to do if you're having a boy?!

PREDICTION: Baby Girl

History of Parent’s Kids
You can find out the sex by going off of your parent’s kids and the order.  If you are the first born, you will have what your mother had but starting with her second child.  If you are the middle child, you will have what she said, but starting with the third child.  If you are the last child, you will have what your mother had in the exact order.  I think this tale only works when the parent’s had three kids.  


My sister was born 11 months after I was. LOL (And my brother, 7 years after that!)

PREDICTION: Baby Girl

Time of Conception
The person that is most aggressive in bed at the time of conception is the opposite of what the baby will be.


Um.

PREDICTION: Baby Girl (LOL)

Legs
If your legs get really big, you’re having a boy.  If your legs stay in shape and lean, it’s a girl.

Too early to tell! If pregnancy works the same as generally gaining weight, though, then...

PREDICTION: Baby Boy

Moodiness and a Little Pecker
If you are really moody, you are having a girl since you have another extra girl hormones in you.  Your pregnancy will make you smile and be more happy if you are having a boy because there’s a little penis inside you.  Not sure how true this is, but it sure does make me laugh!


Made me laugh, too. ;)

PREDICTION: Baby Boy

Bread
If you eat the ends of bread, it’s a boy.  If you eat the middle of the load, it’s a girl.


I've always eaten the ends of bread. Matt saves them for me. ;)

PREDICTION: Baby Boy

Chinese Gender Chart
The Chinese Gender Chart claims to have an accuracy rate of over 90%.  It is based on how old the mother is at conception and the month that she conceived.


I went by this chart, which is difficult to read at first.

PREDICTION: Baby Girl

Mom’s Beauty
Basically you are having a girl if your beauty disappears during pregnancy.  It is said that the girl “steals” the mother’s beauty.  If you think that pregnancy has never made you look more beautiful, you might just be having a little boy.

Hahaha! Well, I keep getting told that I'm "glowing", so I guess I'm going with keeping my beauty! However, my acne is out of control, as is the redness in my cheeks from all this damn blood coursing through my system. I can't call this one. :|

PREDICTION: Inconclusive

Dream of Sex of Baby
If you have dreams that you are having a boy, you will have a girl.  If you dream about having a girl, it will be a boy.  Dreams show the opposite of what you are having.


I keep dreaming about neither! There's a baby, but there's no sex attached to it.

PREDICTION: Inconclusive

Clumsy vs. Graceful
If the pregnant woman is graceful throughout her pregnancy, she’s having a girl.  If she becomes clumsy, she’s having a boy.  


I'm always a fucking wreck anyway, so...

PREDICTION: Baby Boy

Toddlers
If a toddler boy expresses interest in a pregnant woman, she is having a girl.  If he doesn’t show interest, she’s having a boy.  


Oh, definitely a girl, then. My cousin has a 3-year-old son, and the whole family thing aside (as he really didn't seem to care about anyone else), he was trying to hold my attention ALL AFTERNOON. It was sweet, I love that kid. :)

PREDICTION: Baby Girl

Side You Most Rest On
If a pregnant woman prefers to lay on her left side, she’s having a boy.  If she prefers resting on her right side, she’s having a girl.


Stomach isn't an option?!

PREDICTION: Baby Boy

Hands
When the pregnant woman is asked to show her hands, it’s a boy if she keeps her palms down and a girl if she shows her palms up.  


I find it weird that anyone would show the tops of their hands, anyway.

PREDICTION: Baby Girl

Dad’s Weight Gain
If the dad-to-be gains weight while you are pregnant, it’s a girl.  If he doesn’t gain weight, you’re having a boy.


Too early to tell! He DID weigh a bit more before he left for a business trip, but I'm going with inconclusive as I honestly don't know.

PREDICTION: Inconclusive

Breast Test
If a pregnant woman’s left breast is larger than the right breast, she’s having a girl.  If the right breast is larger, it’s a boy.


This is tough because it's ALWAYS been bigger, but...

PREDICTION: Baby Girl

Necklace Over Hand
Have someone hold a necklace over your hand.  If the necklace swings back and forth, it’s a boy.  If it moves in a circle, it’s a girl.


Haven't tried this yet! :D I just got two of my friends here at work to try... one was inconclusive, the other was...

PREDICTION: Baby Boy

What Do You Think?
71% of the time, the mom-to-be knows what she is having.


I've always had a strong feeling about this, and while I'm not sure if it's because I want a girl and am prepping myself for the possibility of a boy, or if it's really a boy, but...

PREDICTION: Baby Boy

Morning Sickness
If you had a smooth pregnancy with no morning sickness, it’s a boy.  If you were sick or felt really nauseous during your pregnancy, count on a girl.


UGH

PREDICTION: Baby Girl

Areolae
If your areolae (the part around your nips) have darkened, it’s a boy.


Why yes, they have!

PREDICTION: Baby Boy

Protein
When a pregnant woman craves meat and cheese, count on a boy.  


Not in the freakin' slightest, save for that one bout with the steak. Otherwise, it's been sweets and carbs, baby.

PREDICTION: Baby Girl

Feet
Are your feet colder now that you are pregnant?  If so, you just might be having a boy.  If your feet have stayed the same before pregnancy and during, you’re having a little girl.  


Hot, hot little feet.

PREDICTION: Baby Girl

Hair on Legs
If the hair on your legs has been growing at record speeds, you might be having a boy.  


Nah, same as always. I still don't shave as often as I "should", though. ;)

PREDICTION: Baby Girl

Hands are Dry
If your hands are constantly dry, it’s a boy.  

Nope! They feel fine.

PREDICTION: Baby Girl

Urine
What color is your pee?  If it is bright yellow, you will have a little boy.  If your urine is a dull yellow, plan on a girl.  

This is a tough one, as my pee is usually dull, but when I take my vitamins, it's BRIGHT yellow. Which makes sense, I guess! I'm drinking a ton of water, too. So basically, I'm fucking this one up. :P

PREDICTION: Inconclusive

Nose
Do you feel like your nose is growing and getting wider?  If so, you might be having a boy.    


Um... no? LOL

PREDICTION: Baby Girl

Headaches
If you are having headaches, you might be carrying a boy.


Nope!

PREDICTION: Baby Girl

Baby Names
It is said that when you can only think of specific names for a boy or a girl, you will have that particularly baby.

GUH. Boy names are SO DIFFICULT!

PREDICTION: Baby Girl
And the results are...?!

Baby Girl 22
Baby Boy 10
??  5

3 comments:

  1. lol all these old wives tales are hilarious. I just answered 20 of them and my overwhelming results (13 to 7) was boy, but I'm def having a girl. lol.

    You have about a 50/50 chance of either sex, so good luck! I thought I wanted a girl at first, then I changed my mind and wanted a boy, but I'm just happy that she's healthy.

    People tell me I'm carrying her high, but I honestly can't tell a difference. I just fee huge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was really fun to read through. The few I've done are nearly 50/50, but I'm waiting til the delivery room to find out so I'm not much in a hurry (or really even curious). The real reason I stopped by was to share this link with you that was posted in our May/June group: http://www.scarymommy.com/a-letter-to-my-pregnant-child-less-self The writing style just totally reminded me of you and I figured you'd find it as hilarious as I did.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had a boy, so let’s see where I come in:
    Heartburn
    Not the full 9 months
    Heart Rate
    His was always REALLY high, well over 140
    Shape of Belly

    High big round belly
    Shape of Mom’s Face

    My face got rounder and fuller, but only towards the end.
    Mayan Tale
    29 + 2010 = 2039.

    Acne

    CRAZY ACNE

    Cravings

    This was mixed – I lived for Big Macs (salty) and donuts (sweet)
    History of Parent’s Kids

    I have a younger sister. So, nope.
    Legs

    Did not get that big. Barely swollen.
    Moodiness and a Little Pecker

    I was pretty moody. And definitely not happy.
    Chinese Gender Chart

    Told me it was a girl.
    Side You Most Rest On

    Couldn’t sleep on my left side at all. I’d get sick. Spent 9 months on my right side.

    Breast Test

    My left has always been larger than my right.
    What Do You Think?

    Early on I thought boy but tricked myself by these silly methods into thinking it was a girl. Boy was my first prediction, I started calling him my little buddy at about 8 weeks.
    Morning Sickness

    Sooooo much morning sickness, throughout the whole pregnancy.
    Hair on Legs

    Way more hair (everywhere!). My stomach needed shaving!
    Hands are Dry
    Constantly dry.
    Baby Names

    We could only agree on one boy name.

    ReplyDelete

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *