25 September 2012

Pregnancy: 9w5d (yes, I adjusted to fit my midwifery practice's date) -Flat nipples

So now I have to go through all my tickers and change them. ;) I figure, the midwives are going to keep that date, so I might as well adjust. It's just a day.

Anyway, at my first official midwife appointment, I was told by the midwife (there are a number in the practice) that I have flat nipples. As a different midwife from the same practice had already told me this at the beginning of the year when I had my pap done, this didn't come as much of a surprise.

What DID come as a surprise was, after doing some research, how flat nipples could be a hindrance in breastfeeding. The midwife had mentioned that and suggested I visit the lactation consultant in my late second, early third trimester, which I'm absolutely going to do. She didn't scare me with "you won't be able to breastfeed" stuff, since they advocate for that and I'm sure I'll still be able to, but it still worries me a bit.

She also recommended nipple shields, which I'm definitely going to look into. Anything to help. :)

In other news, it's early, but I think I can already feel my uterus. It's WEIRD. Like this hard, round thing just over my pubic bone. Kind of exciting. :)

I'd write more, but I'm actually really tired and I have a ton of work to plow through, so... some other time, I'll talk about this really weird craving I've been having, and how it's turning into an existential crisis of sorts.

8 comments:

  1. Your nipples will probably change shape over the course of your pregnancy, so don't put too much stock in what they're saying right now. Mine were never flat or inverted, but certainly weren't huge, and yet now, at nearly 29 weeks, they're definitely poking out ALL. THE. TIME.

    Another thing you can check out (but won't be necessary until 33ish weeks) is something that helps draw the nipple out. I've got some that SIL Heather gave me (she never used them) and they're little suction cups that you put on the nipple to help make them pokier. I don't know what they're called, but I'll look at the package tonight when I get home. They're supposed to help inverted or flat nipples, but you're not supposed to use them until a few weeks before birth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My sister had the same flat nipple issue. She used a nipple shield for probably two months, by then my nephew had figured out nursing and she would switch back and forth between the shield until they used no shield. You can do it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's what I'm thinking. While they're not really any bigger (my boobs are making up for THAT growth, lol!), they're a lot pokier, so I was surprised when she mentioned that they were still flat. I'm hoping they change shape before giving birth, but she did recommend those nipple shields as a possibility, which are probably what you're talking about -- they help draw the nipple out, hopefully on a regular basis.

    I'm hoping to NOT need them, but I'm resigned to the fact that I probably will need to keep the option open, anyway. :) Also, now I'm going to keep referring to my nipples as "poky". :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, good to know. :) Thanks! It's something I'm keeping in mind. My midwife said the lactation consultant will probably have other suggestions, too. I'm just not going to worry about it until I get closer to D-day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with Lizzie, there are a lot of changes that your body will be going through as your pregnancy progresses, and your nipples may change.

    :) I become SUPER aware of my uterus and it's position from about 10 weeks. Looking forward to when you start feeling those first kicks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks! :) I hope they do, but I'm glad my midwives are prepared either way.

    Awesome!! Okay, then I'm not feeling it early or anything. It's kinda cool to feel for it. And I can't wait for that, either! I think it's going to freak me out, but be just the most amazing thing ever. :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've heard lots of stories of women who had flat or inverted nipples & then as soon as the baby was born they just went straight out, but even if they don't, breastfeeding can "fix" them, it just takes a little extra work at the start (my mum had inverted nipples when I was born & within a few weeks of breastfeeding I had made them "normal", haha!). Nipple sheilds are definitely an option, but they can also be hard to wean yourself/your baby off, so use with caution (not saying *don't* use them, just try breastfeeding without them for a while first, or later in your pregnancy you can try wearing them for a bit to pre-suck them out, if that makes sense).

    ReplyDelete
  8. Supple Cups! That's the name of the suction-cup things that you can use on your nipples prior to the baby being born to help draw them out.

    ReplyDelete

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *