07 September 2012

Pregnancy: 7w - A scare...

I'll update later with my weekly, but I need to share this story from yesterday.

DH and I were *supposed* to have an appointment and ultrasound next Friday at 8 weeks, but a situation came up yesterday that pushed it up to immediately.

I started bleeding yesterday afternoon, just around lunchtime. I freaked out considering it was dark red and was a LOT, a sign of miscarriage, so I called Special Beginnings and tried to schedule an appointment for today. Fortunately, they were able to get me in at 3:30. I emailed awesome attorney-boss to let him know I was going home, it was an emergency, and I might not be at work tomorrow. I had told him I was pregnant on Tuesday, so I'm pretty sure he had an idea as to what might be wrong.

Just barely made it to my car before I started crying. I called DH and asked him to come home and told him why, and he came home immediately. He had been crying, too, fearing the worst. :| The bleeding had slowed by then.

When 3:30 finally came around, we went to SB and talked to a midwife. She was straightforward but gentle, saying it may be a miscarriage but may also be a number of other things, so she wanted to do a blood test for hCG levels (and Rhogam, to determine if I was positive or negative -- still have to see how that goes) and to have an ultrasound done at Anne Arundel Medical Center. I didn't cry once during the blood draw. ;)

DH was actually a dream there. He got along really well with the midwife, and we ended up making it a really lighthearted time. I'm so glad he was there, even though my midwife DID offer her sympathies when she learned that DH is an engineer. LOLOL

Anyway, so after the blood draw, they were fortunately able to get me an appointment right away at AAMC, so we went straight over and had the ultrasound done. What they were looking for: If there was a heartbeat, the pregnancy was still viable; if not, SB would do another blood test within 48 hours to see if my hCG levels were rising properly, and if not, it's likely a miscarriage. (I wanted a heartbeat not only so it was viable, but so I didn't need another blood test! I won't lie!)

She tried a regular ultrasound first, but couldn't see anything but a little mass in the middle of my uterus. You could see my big bladder, though. :P So she switched to transvaginal, and she poked around just a little bit before coming across that little mass.

... and there it was, a beautiful, strong heartbeat, 139bpm. <3 I also measured yesterday at 7w, so I'm only a day off. :) DH and I both cried when the heartbeat came up, and the technician congratulated us. We were SO scared, and to see that heartbeat... our chance went from 50/50 for a miscarriage to 90% viability. MUCH better odds. I'll have to post a picture later!

Anyway... I just wanted to let y'all know. Everything is going well, we had a scare, but we were brought closer because of it. It was so reassuring to see that everything is pretty much fine.

Still have to hear back from the midwife to see what caused the bleeding. It could be anything, but my research is pointing to subchorionic bleeding. We'll see what the midwife says.

We can breathe a little easier now, but we probably won't relax until we're at, like, 40 weeks and the baby's on its way here. :P

15 comments:

  1. I'm so glad everything is okay! And Kit is okay! What an emotional afternoon. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was!! To get that reassurance by u/s, though, was so emotionally soothing. I'm still a bit hopped on adrenaline, but I'd much rather that than the alternative. <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eeeek! So scary! I am glad that it turned out okay, I hope that whatever caused the bleeding is a non-issue!

    Which midwife did you get to see? :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope so, too! I'll definitely let you know. Definitely thinking SCH, but I'll wait for the midwife to confirm.

    I saw Joanne! LOVE her! :D So far I've seen her and David, and Tiffany drew my blood (Joanne's right, she CAN get blood from a turnip... and a Steph, lol). I love them all over there. :) Was Joanne the one attending your birth?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yaaaay! Yeah, Joanne caught Anya. :-) Susanne was there for a few hours in the middle of the night, but Joanne was there for most of labor + birth. She is really awesome. I am glad that the blood draw wasn't too traumatic. Do you still have your appointment next week?

    ReplyDelete
  6. She really is awesome! She held my hand while Tiffany was drawing blood, haha -- I hate needles and was all sheet-faced, so she was wonderful and talked me through it.

    I'm pretty sure I do! Not entirely sure, though, so when they call back later, I'll be absolutely certain. I hope so, though! IDK what's going to happen there considering they already did a few things yesterday, but I'm sure there are some tests I missed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad everything looks ok! I hope if it is a SCH causing the bleeding it improves quickly. I'm dealing with one as well for this pregnancy but it has unfortunately gotten larger between last week and this week so my doc has me on bed rest for now in the hopes it will get smaller (not normally necessary for small ones).

    I'm glad they were able to get you in quickly and calm your fears! Few things are as scary as a big rush of bright red blood when you are pregnant!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you so much, sweetheart! I didn't know you were on bed rest because of yours. :( Or that you had it at all! I hope it clears up for you quickly so you're not bedridden for too long. How are you feeling?

    SO thankful for my midwifery practice right now, they're wonderful. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. So so happy that it turned out to be fine and little Kit is doing well. <3

    ReplyDelete
  10. Really glad everything is ok. Unfortunately, you won't relax even when that baby is safely in your arms. ;) Hopefully all is well! I never bled but I know other people who have and still had healthy babies, so don't worry! Hopefully you'll find out what caused it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, thanks, hon!! And I'm sure that's the case, but I at least want Kit to get to THAT place first. :D

    I'm going to call the midwives in a bit if I don't hear from them. Hopefully they have good news!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm glad Kit turned out to be OK. And YAY for geting to ear the heartbeat! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yeah, I made a long whiny post about it in the March/April group. Bed rest is no fun and makes me feel even worse than just the morning sickness does. But the bleeding is slowing down and my morning sickness is still in full force, so hopefully our little bean in growing away in there and the hemorrhage is getting smaller.

    I hope you get luckier than me and this will be your only bleed.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm so happy everything turned out alright! Fingers crossed for a scare-free rest of your pregnancy :)

    (Found your blog via the tcoyf forums! Promise, I'm not a random stalker.)

    ReplyDelete

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *