08 January 2014

Rave Review: Spectra Dew 350 breast pump

I purchased this pump on my own and have not received anything free, nor was I compensated for this review. This is an honest review based on my own experiences. Any opinions stated are my own and were not influenced by any outside source.

When I started my relactation journey, I needed to pump 8 times a day, around the clock, until I started getting some milk going. The pump that was provided to me through insurance was the Ameda Purely Yours, and while it worked pretty well when I was just starting out and didn't need a state-of-the-art pump, it wasn't doing the job to bring my milk back.

So, with Matt's blessing, I went out and got a Medela Pump In Style Advance (PISA), as well as a three-month subscription to Ameda's hospital-grade pump, as each one of those was recommended from other ladies trying to relactate. After a month or so, I started to see results, but I still wasn't getting what I thought I should be.

My subscription was coming to an end on the hospital-grade pump, and as I expected, it worked leaps and bounds better than the PISA. I just couldn't afford the $1000+ price tag on the machine itself, though, and while the rental rate was reasonable, it still would have cost a lot to keep it versus settling on my PISA.

Enter: The Spectra Dew 350.

"The Spectra Dew 350 is a hospital grade breast pump with a single smooth, powerful yet gentle pumping action that will support milk supply and allow you to make short work of expressing."

At a quarter the cost of the Ameda, I was incredibly skeptical at first, but I found one gently used on eBay and thought, eh, what the hell. The kit I bought came with a pink Spectra Dew 350, flanges and other accessories, six bottles, an insulated bag and two ice packs, and a rather sturdy carrying bag. It also came with a couple bottle holders, but they proved useless as the base shape was different from the bottle shape, but I never use them, anyway. No major loss there.

Let me tell you. This thing worked GREAT. It operates a lot like the Ameda pump I was renting: Nice and quiet (even quieter than the Ameda!), powerful but comfortable suction, appropriate flanges (though I did swap out theirs for my Medela ones with Pumpin' Pal flanges), and the best part? I was able to increase my supply to cover Tycho's every need.

There's no letdown mode on this pump, so it doesn't compare to the PISA in that regard, but I did find that it wasn't missed, especially since I could get more power out of the Spectra. There are other pumps in their line that have letdown functions, but for the cost and as I thankfully respond well to this pump, I ended up not needing it.

I did come across an issue with the pump, though. After only two months, it started experiencing these wheezing and clicking sounds, like it was working way too hard to do what it was easily doing even a month prior. It was also heating up really quickly, even after only 10 minutes of use. As a result, my supply really started to suffer. A bit upset, I contacted Spectra on their Facebook page and asked if there was anything they or I could do to return my pump to its previous amazing state.

What I got in return was probably the most incredibly pleasant customer service experience I have ever encountered.

I spoke with Heidi, the representative and lactation consultant for Spectra Baby USA, and after a couple emails back and forth describing my issues, she offered to send me a brand new pump to replace the one that was giving me trouble. Within a few days of that, a sparkling* blue Spectra Dew 350 arrived at my door, and it's been working beautifully ever since! My supply jumped right back up, and the replacement works even better than expected.

*In light of their new line of blinged-out Spectra pumps, I feel I must clarify by saying that mine wasn't actually sparkling. ;)

Consider this an absolutely glowing review of the Spectra Baby USA product line and its stellar customer service. I have never been happier with my pump, and I hope that other mamas who are looking for an efficient, affordable pump will consider the Spectra Dew 350.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *