27 January 2014

First haircut!

I know, I know. I was just waxing poetic the other day about how my beautiful son has the most gorgeous locks of soft, wavy brown hair and dreading the day when he hit a year old and we'd have to cut it. Like, literally wanting to sob just by thinking about it!

Then we went to lunch yesterday, and I spent about a third of it cutting and corralling his food together, another third distracting him while Matt ate the rest of his lunch, and the last third... brushing his long locks out of his eyes.

SIGH.

Okay, okay. So I may have let it go on too long. But could you blame me?! I absolutely loved to tousle his hair while playing on the floor, loved how much the suds caught in each strand as I worked in his shampoo, loved how his hair could tuck behind his ear as I swept it off his face as he nursed. LOVED it all.

But even I admitted that day: It was getting too long. It had to come off.

Perhaps fatefully, right next door was a Snip-Its, a kids salon with its very own First Haircut package. I told Matt before we walked in, I don't care how much they charge, we're getting it!

Matt asked the front desk if they ever had a 9-month-old with that much hair, and she said never. EVER. In her entire time there, and she had been there for a while. So... yeah, maybe we slacked a bit. But could you blame me?

Tycho did a fantastic job sitting in that chair, though. I might have shed a tear, but he didn't spare a single one, just sat back and let the stylist do her work. And I must say, he looks dashing! Such a big boy. <3

We got a picture, lock of hair, and certificate for getting through his first haircut. We have enough locks of hair for ourselves and each of the grandparents... plus a ton left over, ha! THAT is how much hair that child had.



LOL, this shirt.









5 comments:

  1. Oh, Stephanie! Congrats. This truly is a HUGE rite of passage. (And I just LOVE his shirt! That is too cute.) I gave Scotty his first cut at 11 months -- there was no way he could go until the 1 year mark, like I had originally planned. At two months old he looked like a male Scary Spice, but I loved his wild corkscrew locks...Now Scott is chomping at the bit to start taking him to the barber; a daddy-son ritual. I'm hoping I can back him off until age 3. I cut Scotty's hair in the bathtub, and while I suck at it, I will miss not having to do it once he starts getting it done professionally. (sniffle, sniffle.) Just another sign of many that our boys are becoming little men...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! :) It really was a moving moment, more than I thought it would be. I'm actually eager for his hair to grow back out, though. Matt said he lost a bit of his mojo when his hair was cut, and I have to agree!

      Bahaha! I can only imagine how wild that hair was and how proud you were of his curly locks! I'd be just as hesitant to cut it. Matt talks about taking Tycho to the barber for father-son haircuts, too, and I love that our men find ways like that to bond with their boys. I think you can hold off until 3, too, though -- I'm trying to delay something like that until Tycho is older, too. Until then, it's Snip Its for us!

      Sheesh, they're growing up WAY too fast... :sniffle:

      (I'll email you, by the way. Sorry it didn't work the first time!)

      Delete
  2. I just e-mailed you a detailed message about sleep training...but I got an error message stating that it can't be sent. When you get a moment, e-mail me, and then I'll reply with the original message...

    ReplyDelete
  3. So handsome! B turns 1 in two weeks and I have yet to give him a hair cut, but I know it's coming. I told my husband to let me wait until he turns 1 and then we can talk about doing it.

    I will probably cry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thank you! :) The moment is both... overwhelming and nothing at all, if that makes sense. It was both not a big deal and a HUGE deal, so you'll probably cry, then wonder why the hell you're crying, hair grows back. At least, that's what I did. LOL

      Good luck, good luck!!

      Delete

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *