23 January 2014

"Pretty Boy"

At least once a week, some well-meaning stranger smiles, coos at my sweet baby boy, and says, "So cute! How old is she?"

...


Okay, I get it. He has these big brown eyes and long lashes that love to bat in any admirer's direction. I haven't cut his flowing wavy ringlets that extend inches beyond his head. He has these incredibly defined lips that widen into the most adorable smile you've ever seen. Facebook wants to tag him with my name, so he clearly takes after me in the looks department (thank you, thank you). All things considered, regardless of what he's wearing, he looks kinda girly.

I usually try to respond to these kindhearted gaffes with a little hint that he is, in fact, a boy: "Oh, thank you! He's nine months. Aren't ya, little bud?" Most of the time, that tends to get the point across, and the stranger either doesn't mention his sex again, corrects herself, or apologetically exclaims, "I'm sorry, I didn't realize he was a boy!" Then follows it up with how handsome he is.

Personally, I have no problem when someone mistakenly calls Tycho a girl. The social convention (which is not always right but does tend to apply) is that the prettier a baby looks, the higher the chances are that it must be a girl. And let's face it, Tycho is a "pretty" boy.


But Matt does sometimes get offended by it, and it led me to think, would he be as upset if we had a little girl and someone mistakened her for a boy? (Answer: Yes, but pretend not for a bit.)

There was a lot of controversy a while ago about the "genderless baby", Storm Stocker, born to a Canadian couple on New Year's Day. Comments on the Internet read things like, "one more messed up kid in the world" and "this is so wrong in many ways", as well as some not-so-nice ones (yes, those were the nice comments).

While it raised a number of hackles, it certainly wasn't the first time a child has been in the spotlight for not conforming to gender norms: Take the mother who allowed her son to dress as a princess for Halloween, or the father who is okay with his son wearing makeup and heels. It seems that, while we're so intent on finding equality for women -- and yes, speaking as a woman who deals with gender inequality on a daily basis, this is still a very pervasive problem -- we're just as apt to make little boys into men.

Even if it means being their first bully to do just that.

While it's certainly something we haven't had to deal with yet, as all of his toys are gender neutral and he doesn't really have a sense of "boy" or "girl" toys, I'm sure there will come a day when Tycho shows interest in a frilly dress, a Barbie doll, or some sparkly nail polish. Being the pretty boy that he is, if he goes through with expressing his interest in something more "girly", he may be labeled a girl even more often.

Would allowing our son to have an interest in these kinds of things ruin him as a boy? Or should we try to extinguish this kind of curiosity and genuine interest in something pink and fluffy in exchange for something blue and grimy?

Our neighbors have two girls, aged 8 and 5, who are girly in almost every sense of the word. They love pink (or purple, as the 5-year-old's case may be), they cradle their baby dolls, and they perform manicures on each other, sometimes with the help of their mom. But surprisingly (that is, if you don't know their parents!), they also have distinct interests in Marvel and DC comics, and can easily tell you what superhero belongs to which superseries. Their knowledge isn't limited to Wonder Woman or Catwoman, either; ask their 8-year-old what superhero is her favorite, and she'll proudly tell you BATMAN. In fact, she dressed as him -- in a boy's costume, not in the girly version -- last year for Halloween.

Sure, nowadays it's a little more acceptable for a little girl to have interest in comics, superheroes, video games, and other activities that were once firmly lumped into the "boy" category. But it doesn't seem like the same applies to our little boys.


I would never want to squash my son's interests strictly because they were seen as more "girly" than I or society would like. If Tycho ever wanted to play with a doll, dress as a princess, or don ten fingers carefully painted hot pink, I would more than willingly allow him to express himself that way. Doing so doesn't mean he'll turn out gay or transgender -- I firmly believe that being either (or both!) of those is set from birth and not a result of exposure to gender-specific clothing or play. But denying him his desires to try out more "girly" things may cause him to lack confidence in himself and his interests, something I absolutely do not wish on him.

While gay and transgender kids do exist, I like to think there's another point of view: That, similar to the Kinsey Scale, there exists a line between "most masculine" and "most feminine", and that kids and adults just happen to fall on any point on the line, regardless of their sexual or gender identities. And that's okay. It doesn't mean they need redirection or therapy or anything else in order to make them "right", for wherever they fall on that line, and any movement they have on that line, is exactly where they're supposed to be.

I imagine that's not how everyone feels, and I understand this is a lot of introspection strictly as a result of some strangers calling our son a little girl. But I believe it's crucial for people to understand that, while you may cut their hair or dress them a certain way or deny them the desire to play with a toy that "belongs" to another gender, the only people they're hurting are their children.

And this holds especially true for our boys, who often lack a similar gender non-conforming place that girls tend to have. It's my sincere hope that our culture allows the same potential growth for our boys and our men as we have allowed for our girls and our women.

Even if there's not, in our house? We'll allow for whatever growth Tycho and any other children we have in the future desire.

6 comments:

  1. Letting your boy play with dolls could possibly make him a better Dad! *gasp*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly!! Heaven forbid he's only exposed to "boy" toys and holds such disdain for "girl" toys that he ends up thinking the same of his potential future daughters.

      Delete
  2. My little girl loves to play with Lego, Tinker Toys, and any and every other thing that allows her to build something. Personally, I don't believe that her interest in playing with these, traditionally, masculine toys indicates anything other than an interest in creating something where nothing existed before, and I encourage her to explore her interests in construction and engineering. My nephews (all of them) play with dolls, and my oldest nephew LOVES having his nails painted. Does this make them any less masculine? No.

    I subscribe to the notion that there are no "boy" toys or "girl" toys. There are KID toys, and there's a simple way to figure out if that's what you're dealing with. Ask yourself this question: Is this toy operated with one's genitalia? If the answer is "no," it's a boy OR a girl toy. If the answer is "yes," it is not a toy for children. It's that simple.

    I commend you for not wigging out about people calling your son a girl. It never bothered me when people mistook Bee for a boy, and a subtle correction was usually all it took to set them to rights. Not always, but usually. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree. There is something to be said, though, about society being more "permissive" towards a girl with interest in "boy" toys than a boy being interested in "girl" toys. I'm glad your nephews (and your sister and her hubs!) are working hard to dispel that mindset.

      Thanks. :) It doesn't seem at all a big deal to me, even when I try to subtly correct and the stranger still refers to him as a "she". No need to turn a gender molehill into a mountain.

      Delete
  3. Excellent post, Stephanie! I can relate to the well-meaning compliments from strangers -- Scotty has had a ton of hair from day one, and even though we always dressed him in blue, he still got the "pretty girl" comments. I just think people are subconsciously wired to think "girl" whenever they see a baby with hair...I always felt it was my duty to correct them, too. But now with Kennedy? Nah. She, too, has a ton of hair -- more than Scotty -- but for the first few months, she wore his blue wool jacket and still got the boy comments. But I said nothing to correct them! LOL (It's the second kid syndrome; hell, I could barely speak in coherent sentences from severe sleep deprivation the first few months, let alone find the gumption to correct someone.) Oh, and in this house, we're all about squashing gender stereotypes. I don't fear Scotty yielding to his feminine side, but I'll tell you what I won't tolerate: K being a super girly diva. I mean, I'll let her have her fun as a girl. I get that. But as I write this, she's wearing Scotty's "Daddy's little quarterback" bib. I would much prefer she follow in her dad's footsteps and aim to play in the NFL than go into pageants. Yuck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Courtney! :) Everyone's right -- it's definitely the hair that leads strangers to think a baby is a girl. That strikes me as odd, but I guess... lots of full hair means a girl, right?

      I don't bother correcting most of the time, either. I had someone approach me yesterday asking questions about our daycare, and she commented that Tycho was a "sweet little girl". I didn't even bat an eye at it, just continued the conversation as normal. What does it matter to a complete stranger if they got my baby's sex right.

      I agree with you on the uber girly-girl thing, though. We're considering a second child, and we honestly have no idea what we're going to do if it's a girl, especially since Matt's totally not about a stereotypical prissy girl and I'm your typical tomboy. We'd treat her the same as our son, of course -- with love and affection unrelated to her sex! -- but I fear the possible pageantry. So I'm with you there!

      Delete

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *