05 April 2013

Pregnancy: 37w(1d)


I had my GBS test this past Monday, so I should know the results of that at my upcoming appointment this Monday. Here's to hoping I pass... (Though I did learn that I can still labor in the shower and tub! Yay!)

What I love: Thank heavens I have his movements to look forward to. I'm getting more sore, so any little thing I can get right now, I'm taking! I'm loving that he's doing really well and that things look like they're prepping for labor! Those cramps and everything are annoying, but at least they mean the end is near, haha. I love that it won't be TOO long until I'm not pregnant any more and my precious son will be in my arms. :)

I also love that I'm solidly in my 9th/10th month of pregnancy (depending who you ask), and I STILL have coworkers who are like, "OH wow, I didn't know you were pregnant!" Like DUH?! What did you think was going on! LOL

What I hate: Of all the things I've hated over the course of my pregnancy, the weight is the only thing I can hold on to now. My belly is, at least IMO, absolutely beautiful and I can completely appreciate what's going on in there, and while I can't reach my shoes anymore, I have more important things to complain about. ;) The hip pain is AWFUL, especially when trying to roll over in bed, and the cramps and other pressure are starting to have their toll on my sanity. :P

What I miss: My body, lol. And some wine!! [Same]

What I’m looking forward to the most: Giving birth and meeting Kit! Seriously, now that we’re in April… it’s like, “OOH, it could be ANY TIME this month!” Freaky when you think about it, really. [Same]

Worries: Cesarean delivery. I’m still freaking out a bit about that. [Same] Also, how the fuck is his huge head gonna come out of my body?!

Symptoms: A bigger belly, pregnancy rhinitis (and associated snoring), soooooo tiiiiiiired, RLP, some crazy-ass BH contractions, pelvic pain like whoah... so basically, I'm-still-pregnant symptoms. ;)

Mood: A little cranky, but otherwise good. I'm trying to keep a positive attitude. :)

Sleep: Good when I get it, save for the crazy-ass dreams because the urge to pee or a BH contraction wakes me up in the middle of my REM cycles. LOL

Movement: Lots of it! Mostly rolls and nudges rather than hard kicks, it’s coming down to, but he still moves a LOT. [Same]

The belly (and the button!): Bigger belly, much more shallow belly button. STILL not flat, even if it is much more shallow than before. It’s starting to pucker. LOL [Same] (STILL NOT OUT! GEEZUS)

Wedding rings on or off: On!

Weight gain: I weighed myself yesterday and finally reached 150lbs, which I'll probably stay at or near. That means I'm 24lbs from my pre-pregnancy weight. Yay?

Milestones: I can birth at the birth center from yesterday onward! :D Yay!! And we put the carseat in the car this past weekend, so it's all like... REALITY IS HITTING, YO! We're gonna have a baby!!

How your baby's growing:

Your baby is now considered "full term," even though your due date is three weeks away. If you go into labor now, his lungs will likely be mature enough to fully adjust to life outside the womb. (Some babies need a bit more time, though. So if you're planning to have a repeat c-section, for example, your practitioner will schedule it for no earlier than 39 weeks unless there's a medical reason to intervene earlier.)

Your baby weighs 6 1/3 pounds and measures a bit over 19 inches, head to heel (like a stalk of Swiss chard). Many babies have a full head of hair at birth, with locks from 1/2 inch to 1 1/2 inches long. But don't be surprised if your baby's hair isn't the same color as yours. Dark-haired couples are sometimes thrown for a loop when their children come out as blonds or redheads, and fair-haired couples have been surprised by Elvis look-alikes. And then, of course, some babies sport only peach fuzz.

How your life's changing:

Braxton Hicks contractions may be coming more frequently now and may last longer and be more uncomfortable. You might also notice an increase in vaginal discharge. If you see some "bloody show" (mucus tinged with a tiny amount of blood) in the toilet or in your undies, labor is probably a few days away — or less. (If you have heavier spotting or bleeding, call your caregiver immediately.)

Also be sure to ask your caregiver about the results of your Group B strep culture. That way, if the result isn't yet on your chart when you get to the hospital or birth center, you'll be able to give the staff there a timely heads-up if you need antibiotics.

It may be harder than ever to get comfortable enough to sleep well at night. If you can, take it easy through the day — this may be your last chance to do so for quite a while. Keep monitoring your baby's movements, too, and let your caregiver know immediately if you notice a decrease. Though her quarters are getting cozy, she should still be as active as before.

While you're sleeping, you're likely to have some intense dreams. Anxiety both about labor and about becoming a parent can fuel a lot of strange flights of unconscious fancy.
Home alone "I know some people are thrilled to show off their new baby. But all I wanted to do was curl up with her in my arms when I got home from the hospital. Next time I'll tell people ahead of time that we aren't seeing visitors for the first week." — Anonymous

Surprising Facts: Signs of labor

There's no way to predict when labor is going to start. Your body actually starts "preparing" for labor up to a month before you give birth. You may be blissfully unaware of what's going on or you may begin to notice new symptoms as your due date draws near.

Here are some things that may happen in the weeks or days before labor starts:
  • Your baby drops. If this is your first pregnancy, you may feel what's known as "lightening" a few weeks before labor starts as your baby descends lower into your pelvis. You might detect a heaviness in your pelvis as this happens and notice less pressure just below your ribcage, making it easier to catch your breath.

  • You note an uptick in Braxton Hicks contractions. More frequent and intense Braxton Hicks contractions can signal pre-labor, during which your cervix ripens and the stage is set for true labor. Some women experience a crampy, menstrual-like feeling during this time.

  • You pass your mucus plug. The mucus plug is the small amount of thickened mucus that blocks the cervical canal leading to your uterus. The plug may come out all at once in a lump, or as increased vaginal discharge over the course of several days. The mucus may be tinged with blood (which may be brown, pink, or red), in which case it may be referred to as "bloody show."

  • Your water breaks. Most women start having regular contractions sometime before their water breaks, but in some cases, the water breaks first. When this happens, labor usually follows soon. (If contractions don't start promptly on their own, you'll be induced.) Whether the amniotic fluid comes out in a large gush or a small trickle, call your doctor or midwife.
How can I tell if I'm in false labor or true labor?

Sometimes it's very hard to tell false labor from the early stages of true labor. Here are some things that might help you sort it out:
  • False labor contractions are unpredictable. They come at irregular intervals and vary in length and intensity. Although true labor contractions may be irregular at first, over time they start coming at regular and shorter intervals, become increasingly more intense, and last longer.

  • With false labor, the pain from the contractions is more likely to be centered in your lower abdomen. With true labor, you may feel the pain start in your lower back and wrap around to your abdomen.

  • False labor contractions may subside on their own, or when you start or stop an activity or change position. True labor contractions will persist and progress regardless of what you do.

This Week's Activity:

Figure out how to install your baby's car seat. You can't bring your baby home without a car seat and it's harder to install than you think, so don't wait until the last minute. Some car seat manufacturers have a toll-free number for you to call so an expert can walk you through the process. Or get a car seat safety inspector to help you. To find one in your area, go to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration's Web site or look in your local phone book.

1 comment:

  1. Love your belly!!

    And his head isn't as big as you think. Once he's out, all you're going to think of is how tiny he is. <3<3

    ReplyDelete

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *