28 March 2012

Judaism and Circumcision: The Mitzvah of the Brit Milah and a Pagan's take on the whole thing

**First, let me start off by saying that, while I’m not an “intactivist” by any means, my views in this post will not align with all of yours. That’s part of the nature of sharing your opinion. :) Despite these differences, though, please be aware that I do respect yours and your reasons for them. That being said, I’m not necessarily going to hold back for the sakes of those who disagree, so if you’re pro-circumcision for any reason and don’t want to argue with me about it, this is your heads up!**


[caption id="attachment_1271" align="aligncenter" width="500" caption="Brit Milah, or the Covenant of Abraham/Circumcision. via wiki"][/caption]


A friend of mine, Dana, recently posted an article to her FB page entitled, “50 Reasons to Leave It Alone.” I admit that I didn’t click on most of the embedded links, but one of the points did strike me as interesting, as I had honestly never known this:
43.) If you are Jewish, you should know that there is considerable debate about the religious necessity of circumcision.

In my experience, circumcision — or the brit milah, literally “covenant of circumcision”, or the Yiddish bris — was required according to certain Biblical passages, namely Genesis 17:10-14 and Leviticus 12:3:
10 This is My covenant, which ye shall keep, between Me and you and thy seed after thee: every male among you shall be circumcised. 11 And ye shall be circumcised in the flesh of your foreskin; and it shall be a token of a covenant betwixt Me and you. 12 And he that is eight days old shall be circumcised among you, every male throughout your generations, he that is born in the house, or bought with money of any foreigner, that is not of thy seed. 13 He that is born in thy house, and he that is bought with thy money, must needs be circumcised; and My covenant shall be in your flesh for an everlasting covenant. 14 And the uncircumcised male who is not circumcised in the flesh of his foreskin, that soul shall be cut off from his people; he hath broken My covenant.

Genesis 17:10-14


3 And in the eighth day the flesh of his foreskin shall be circumcised.

Leviticus 12:3



Is it just me, or does even just the word “Leviticus” make you think of circumcision? Like I’m saying “cut” in another language. It gives me the heebie-jeebies.

Honestly, the whole thing has always given me the creeps. Like I was explaining to Dana, the thought really freaks me out, and I told Matt a bit ago that I could not be in the room while it was happening. If that’s the case, why would I let my son go through it at all? If I can’t be there to support and hold and cuddle and console him, why put him through it in the first place?

I understand that it’s a mitzvah and that the procedure is done differently by a mohel — a Jewish person trained in the art of the brit milah — than by a urologist at a hospital, but I still can’t help the involuntary feeling I get when I think about someone, anyone, harming our eventual child. Yes, it’s a religious rite of passage, and yes, it’s rather common among the Jewish population. It still seems wrong, though.

Part of it may be that I am, of course, not Jewish. I don’t understand some of the mitzvot, and in some way, as I never and will likely never (consciously) practice them, I never will.

But I do find some solace knowing that there are actually Jewish individuals, couples, and families who feel the same way I do, that circumcision doesn’t really serve any real medical or, even Judaically, spiritual purpose. Like many other commandments aside from circumcision, those deemed too brutal to actually do and were at least therefore modified to accommodate a modern Jewish life, why can’t the brit milah be modified to accommodate those who wish not to do this to their child? After all, it’s been done before!

And ultimately, it kind of stings that anything would be done to or for a child in the name of religion. I left the religion of my parents because I felt it wasn’t right for me, and I sometimes regret having gone through their ceremonies and rituals when I ended up abandoning it. I wasn’t committed, and I don’t expect my child to be committed, either.

To me, all the painful stuff aside, the act of the brit milah is one done for the parents, not for the child. There are increasing numbers of Jews who are not having the procedure done (almost all of whom are associated with a more humanistic Judaism), and are leaving the choice up to the boy when he grows older. In fact, several Jewish men have gone through this.

Add the element that our children will be raised in an interfaith household, and that circumcision is a decision that is made for a child who does not yet understand religion (much less a specific one!)… yeah, one can see why I’m not comfortable with the idea. I’d much rather leave it all intact and, should our possible son grow up and believe a brit milah is right for him, support him the entire way through.

Just as I would pretty much anything else he decides. :)

14 comments:

  1. I know if we have a boy, we won't circumcise our son. My husband is circumcised and he is okay with this decision. I don't really have a strong opinion for or against circumcision, I just don't see the point. My ex in college was intact and it really didn't bother me or make a difference. I might have skipped this part, but does Matt have an opinion either way?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you 100%! My opinion is, anything that initiates a person in to a spacific religion should be done with their consent when they are old enough to make the choice for themselves. This includes circumsision, baptism, etc. I intend for my child to learn about all faiths
    then make his or her own choice which to follow. If my son was to decide to have himself circumsized, then that's fine; his choice, and I'll be behind him 100%. But I don't feel it's my choice to make.

    I'm also curious; what's Matt's opinion on this?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stephanie @ The Coexist CafeMarch 29, 2012 at 1:19 AM

    Matt is... well, he's Matt. We discussed it a bit yesterday -- didn't get too much into it! -- and I found out his reason for wanting it is more for cosmetics than religion. I was a little surprised, but I mean, he also doesn't know the risks and so forth. Looks like I have a bit of work to do. ;)

    I don't see the point, either. I mean, I kind of get it from a religious standpoint, but isn't that even still a decision that he should make? What if he grows up to NOT be Jewish and we cut him specifically because of that faith?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stephanie @ The Coexist CafeMarch 29, 2012 at 1:21 AM

    Yup, Tori, exactly. Sounds like we have a lot of similar ideas on raising children. :) I just want our kids to be happy, healthy, well-educated, and confident in themselves. And that means not initiating them into something without their consent.

    Above is Matt's opinion -- what's your take on that?

    ReplyDelete
  5. *Nods* Yes, it does sound as though we have a lot of similar ideas when it comes to raising children.

    As for Matt's opinion... *Frowns* I wonder why people think it looks better? It's like dogs with docked tails; it doesn't look better, it just looks different. Perhaps it's a good thing he wants it more for cosmetic reasons though... It might make it easier for you to convince him to change his mind. How stubbourn is he? And how willing is he to back down if he knows you feel strongly about something not being done? Just wondering, because the answer to those questions will determine how easily you can convince him to change his mind.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stephanie @ The Coexist CafeMarch 30, 2012 at 5:06 AM

    I'm not sure why people think it looks better -- a penis is a penis is a penis, you know? It's like saying women with smaller labia look better, but does that mean all women should have a procedure done to make them look liek that?

    We had a fight erm, discussion about this last night, and it ends up he's much more staunch about this than I thought. Makes me hope we only have daughters. ;) Seriously, though, he's just as stubborn on this issue than I am, so we decided that, should we end up conceiving a boy, we'd talk to the midwifery practice and check out their recommendations as well as their resources. I sincerely hope he changes his mind... but unlike other things, I didn't expect this one to raise so many emotions and to be so passionate.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and the great Renaiisance artists all chose to portray even Jewish historical figures like David, the boy Jesus and John the Baptist as intact. As with religion, appearance should be up to the OWNER to decide, when he is old enough.

    Here are contact details for more than 60 celebrants of Brit Shalom / Brit B'li Milah (Covenant Without Cutting), more than 30 of them rabbis, in 30 US states and several other countries including Israel: http://tinyurl.com/britshalom

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know a Jewish-born couple who both switched as adults to be Sikhs. Sikhs don't remove anything from the sacred human form, not even hair. His religious freedom was violated by his infant circumcision.

    3% of Jews in the US and Israel - and over half in Sweden - don't circumcise. Cutting at birth denies his right to be that kind of Jew.

    You know what would be a really sacred and meaningful infant ceremony? Let the FATHER shed some blood in the infant's stead. Then let the boy decide at his bar mitzvah or at age 18 whether to lose part of his penis to seal a covenant.

    THOU SHALL NOT STEAL. His body, his decision.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Exactly! But people are obsessed with appearances with genitals and everything else. I learned just how much when they put me through 4 operations in 5 months just because "having the implant in your eye helps it keep it's shape, so it's cosmetically better." They'd have kept trying to keep the implant in there too, except that after the third failure I said, "enough," and they had no choice but to respect my wishes and just use the fourth operation to stitch things up before leaving me alone. I told them from the start I didn't care about cosmetic appearance, but apparently they did. And it appears people are so obsessed with it that no part of the body is safe from potential cosmetic alteration. *Sigh*

    Anyway, I don't envy you with having to settle the... Erm... Debate. I'll keep my fingers crossed for only daughters in your future, shall I? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. P.S. I thought you'd like to know that there are new photos of Harrison and Emma on my Mam's blog; the ones of Emma were taken on and the day after her 2nd birthday, so this time they're only from a couple of weeks ago. In case you need it, the link is http://firefinch-karen.blogspot.com (you'll need to scroll down for the photos).

    ReplyDelete
  11. Stephanie @ The Coexist CafeApril 2, 2012 at 2:26 AM

    Yup, you're absolutely right. I actually saw something on LiveJournal a bit ago, The Body Project or something like that, where people took photos of certain body parts and they were all laid out like a quilt of different shapes, sizes, and colors. It was FASCINATING, and every last one of them was beautiful. It's hard to think that when we're surrounded by and practically required to think of a certain thing as perfection, but each of us has a beautiful body, just as nature intended.

    That's ridiculous what your doctors put you through, but it does make sense in a way, considering our conversation. I'm glad you were able to make the decision for yourself, though, especially after so many botched attempts. What happened is very unfortunate and must have been incredibly painful, but you're right... in the end, it's YOUR decision.

    Oof, this debate is AWFUL. I really, really hope we have daughters, so yes, keep your fingers crossed! ;)

    And thanks for the link!! I checked out a couple photos... Harrison is SO adorable, as is Emma! She must be growing like a little flower, huh? Two already, bet that time flies by so fast. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Stephanie @ The Coexist CafeApril 2, 2012 at 2:30 AM

    I absolutely agree. I do understand that it's a Jewish covenant, but it really should be made (like all other religious decisions!) when a person is mature enough to understand, not as a "rite of passage" when they're too young to realize why.

    Thanks so much!! I'll pass this along to my husband and see what he thinks of it. :) Love the idea of the Brit B'li Milah!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Stephanie @ The Coexist CafeApril 2, 2012 at 2:34 AM

    Yes, that's another concern of mine: If our children grow up and become a different religion from us, their parents. Not that I'd mind -- I'd be completely open to whatever faiths our children choose, provided they don't automatically think we're going to hell or something like that! -- but I fear that making a decision like that when they're too young to understand might end up hurting them in the end. I hope your friends found a way to come to terms with his circumcision in conversion!

    That's an interesting idea, a father shedding blood for his infant son. I wonder if it's ever been a consideration? It would make more sense for that to occur and for the child to make up his mind later.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yep; seems like just yesterday she was a tiny little thing who could bearly wrap her hand around one of my fingers, and now she's 2!

    ReplyDelete

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *