23 June 2011

Theological Thursday: Pagan goodies and tchotchkes



I've been following Pagan Blog Prompts for a while, and though I just finished a whole series on a Sabbat, I figured... why not one more Pagan-related post this week. Ooh, and it's Theological Thursday, yay!

This one is inspired by the blog mentioned above, wherein they ask a question regarding shopping for your magickal tools and other tchotchkes (I love that word, it makes you think of little hard-to-find collectibles):
When it comes to shopping for pagan items, or items that will be used in a pagan manner, where do you shop? Do you look for retailers that are geared toward the pagan community? Or would you rather find something simple from the discount store down the street?

Do you support any pagan-based small businesses? Do you even know of a pagan shop in your town?

Feel free to expand...

Let's be honest: We just don't make enough money to buy every Pagan good we'd like to afford. Or, at least, I don't. I'd love to have $25 to blow on a new Tarot deck, or a new altar cloth, or anything else that I might want for my practice and that supports a local Pagan business. The markups? They're rather ridiculous!

Most of my Pagan goods actually come from thrift shops and repurposing things around the house. The decor for my Ostara altar? A feather boa my mom used for my bridal shower. My altar itself? A great find from a local garage sale. The candleholders that shine tealight flames? Bought 'em used off a Pagan friend.

[caption id="" align="aligncenter" width="405" caption="Well, okay, there's no boa in this picture. But I guarantee, there was one! A fluffy white one!"][/caption]

I honestly wish that I could afford to support local Pagan businesses, and when I do have the funds, I try my best to do so. (The pentacle disk on my altar is from a Pagan shop in Tallahassee!) Most of the time, though, my altar supplies, books, and other tools come secondhand.

There ARE online retailers, though, that have amazing Pagan goods at great prices, like Pagan Stuff Cheap. Her stuff is absolutely fantastic and affordable! If you're looking for an independent Pagan business with the ability to deliver darn near anywhere, I'd check it out.



Anyway, the act of buying secondhand actually suits me quite well! I'm a huge fan of reusing items, and if it means saving one more thing from the landfills and giving it new life, I'm all for it. ;)

How about y'all? Where do you get your ritual, altar, and other magickal supplies?

6 comments:

  1. I get mine wherever I can, and look for the best deals to try and get them without paying more than I absolutely "have to" pay. I mean, I appreciate that the stuff is well made and such from the Pagan shops, but I still think the prices are a bit much sometimes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. Almost anywhere? Does that include to the UK?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stephanie @ The Coexist CafeJune 24, 2011 at 10:02 AM

    I actually don't know! I know they ship to the continental US, but I can follow up with her and see if she ships outside the country. :) Once I know, I'll get back to you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stephanie @ The Coexist CafeJune 24, 2011 at 10:03 AM

    Yes, I absolutely agree! I know it's an issue of supply and demand (there isn't much of either when it comes to Pagan shops), but that unfortunately makes it out of reach for many people.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stephanie @ The Coexist CafeJune 24, 2011 at 1:10 PM

    Okay, here's what I got from her. :) Hope this helps!!

    Stephanie we can do that. Have her put the items in her cart and create an account. Then she can send me a message and I'll get the total including international shipping. She can then paypal me or do credit card over the phone.

    ReplyDelete

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *