27 June 2011

Meatless Monday: 11 Reasons Why Dairy Kinda Sucks



I'm getting kind of anxious about this upcoming vegan experiment. The more research I do, the more I realize that it's about more than simply cutting out eggs and dairy, but a change in almost everything. Those two are actually the easiest!

And this is coming from a lover of cheese. I mean, I plan to have pizza tonight and make lasagna tomorrow (did I mention my mom is going to be in town from tonight through next Monday morning? She is! I'm so excited!), and they will both have copious amounts of cheese.

This seems to be the downfall for all vegetarians, actually. Eggs? No problem. Straight-up milk? Soy or rice or almond is even better. But you put some cheese in front of them... and their willpower crumbles.

I'm one of those.



However, I imagine this month won't be nearly as hard after picking up Whitewash: The Disturbing Truth About Cow's Milk and Your Health. We all know the daily mantra: Drink your milk so you'll grow big and strong, have healthy bones and teeth, and so forth. This book? It challenges all that. Y'all should read it; it'll forever change how you see milk.

I, for one, am willing to take the challenge, and the reasons below (among many others) are why.

1. Cow’s milk is intended for baby cows.

Think about it: When you ask someone why we don't drink elephant milk, we (typically) reply, "Because that's for baby elephants!"

Exactly.

We are the only species, aside from those we're domesticating, that drinks milk after infancy and, even more odd, drinks the milk of other species.

2. Hormones and nutrient amounts are different.

The hormones and nutrients contained in cow's milk are naturally higher in some areas and lower in others, as those are what a baby cow requires. When compared with the milk created by humans for their babies, the differences between the nutrients can be astounding:



Add to that the amount of hormones and steroids given to cows to keep them lactating, increase milk production, and otherwise "plump" them up, and you have a recipe for disaster. These hormones can negatively impact our hormonal balance!

3. Most cows are fed inappropriate food.

Cows are supposed to chew cud --the portion of grass and other foods in a cow's natural diet that returns from the stomach to the mouth to be chewed a second time. Gross, yes, but this process if vital for a cow's digestion.

Nowadays, your average cow is eating feed containing ingredients that include genetically modified (GM) corn, GM soy, animal products, chicken shit (no, seriously), cottonseed, pesticides, antibiotics, and other nasty stuff. You are what you eat? Well, imagine eating that stuff... through your milk!

4. Dairy products, when metabolized, are acid-forming.

Contrary to popular belief, the milk you're drinking is actually working against your bones. Our bodies strive for biochemical balance to keep our blood acid levels at 7.365 pH, and eating excessive acid-forming products can cause our bodies to overuse its acid-balancing mechanisms... including our bones, which contain alkaline calcium that are released to combat excessive blood acidity. This leads to bone fragility.

In turn (and shockingly)...

5. Research shows that the countries whose citizens consume the most dairy products have the HIGHEST incidence of osteoporosis.

Yes, really.



6. Most dairy cows live in confined, inhumane conditions.

All right. I'm never one to really preach about animal cruelty or anything, but it needs to be said: Some of the cows that are milked their entire lives suffer with bone fragility, illness, abuse, and oftentimes premature death. Being a milk cow in the dairy industry can cut down a cow's life by two-thirds. And that green grass we mentioned before? Most cows go never knowing what a blade of grass even is.

7. During the pasteurization process, vitamins, proteins, and enzymes are destroyed.

Most dairy products are pasteurized to kill potentially-harmful bacteria. Enzymes are what assist with digestion, and when they're destroyed or otherwise removed via pasteurization and other processes, the milk becomes harder to digest. This puts a strain on our bodies' enzyme systems. It is one of many reasons why many people are intolerant to milk and dairy products.

8. Dairy products are mucous-forming.

There was once a time when I cut out dairy and wheat from my diet, just to see what would happen. I did it in spring, a time when flowers are blooming and I'm sneezing my head off and reaching for my inhaler ever few hours. That year? Not one sniffle, not one wheeze.

Dairy products are mucous-forming, and they can easily contribute to respiratory disorders, allergies, and other ailments as a result.

9. Research links dairy products with arthritis.

Scientist Richard Panush was actually able to produce inflamed joints in rabbits by switching their water to milk. In another study, scientists observed a more than 50% reduction in arthritic pain and swelling when participants eliminated milk and dairy products from their diets. Powerful stuff there!

10. Most milk is homogenized, which denatures the milk’s proteins, making it harder to digest.

When you get sick, the "foreign invaders" are attacked by your immune system and either keep you from getting worse (and actually make you better!) or prevent you from getting sick in the first place. The milk proteins, since they're a foreign substance when homogenized, are seen as "foreign invaders", so your immune system reacts as if they were something dangerous, and everything overreacts.

11. Milk can lead to a myriad diseases...

... including but not limited to hypertension (due to elevated sodium in dairy products), heart disease (due to elevated amounts of saturated fat and cholesterol in dairy products), overweightness and obesity (due to the same and the popularity of chocolate and other flavored milks), diabetes (due to the same), and a generally shorter life span.

11 comments:

  1. Gross!

    Certainly makes a person reconsider consuming dairy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stephanie @ The Coexist CafeJune 27, 2011 at 11:11 AM

    Right?! And I didn't even get into the truly gross stuff... not yet, at least. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been playing with going vegan (except the eggs from our chickens because obviously I know that those are humane) lately, but I am right there with you on my fear of giving up cheese. I LOVE cheese.

    That said, there really are a lot of problems with the dairy industry. There were a number of facts in here I wasn't aware of. Thank you for posting it! Also, since I started breastfeeding, the idea of drinking cow's milk has weirded me out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah; I don't doubt it!

    Being totally honest, the main thing that stops me oing vegan is... Well, a combination of two things, actually. The first is the fact that I do have a fondness for cheese (there are vegan cheeses though, so I could get past that). But the other... The main issue... Is that I have enough trouble getting hold of vegetarian items over here, let alone vegan items. They seem to think that if you don't want meat and fish, you obviously want cheese.

    Funny thing is, I could do with removing the dairy items from my diet due to a lactos issue I have. If only the shops would make it easier for me...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stephanie @ The Coexist CafeJune 28, 2011 at 11:16 AM

    I do, too. In fact, while we were going through the grocery store over the weekend, we saw these HUGE WHEELS OF CHEESE that you'd buy as a gag gift for someone (actually... *stores that one away*), and I wanted to bring it home SO BADLY because I knew I'd be cheeseless for (at least) a month.

    ... we came home with no cheese.

    Anyway, you're welcome! I'm learning quite a bit from that book and will be sharing even more as the month goes on. Some of it gets really, REALLY gross. And you make a good point about breastfeeding and drinking other mammals' milk being weird! I imagine that has to be an interesting change in mindset... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stephanie @ The Coexist CafeJune 28, 2011 at 11:20 AM

    The vegan cheese definitely makes it easier. :) I actually have soy cheese at home (which has casein in it, unfortunately, so it's not vegan) and LOVE it, and I keep getting recommendations for Daiya. Do you have that brand over there?

    I'm worried about the shopping, too, though. You're right, it does make things a lot harder, especially if you're watching the milk proteins and stuff, too (see: casein). It will make things more difficult, but I'm also hoping it leads to me eating more whole foods and less processed stuff, you know?

    Hey, a girl can dream, right? :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah; you can but hope it helps you with eating less processed foods. If you stick to being a vegan then I'm sure it will, since totally vegan ready made meals are next to impossible to find.

    *Shaking head* Not that I've noticed anyway. That's half the issue; We've only just managed to get people stocking things like tofu here, never mind having varieties to choose between!

    ReplyDelete
  8. [...] summer was the use of milk alternatives rather than cow’s milk, especially after learning just how screwed up cow’s milk can be. I still find myself eating yogurt and ice cream products (though I never ate much of either of [...]

    ReplyDelete
  9. [...] at or near to birth (and the emotional trauma that comes with that).  But, the simple fact is that dairy sucks.  Which is why this is so good! Researchers at Harvard University have come out and said it, as [...]

    ReplyDelete
  10. [...] to say that cheese (and other dairy, for that matter) can’t be bad for your health; after all, your typical cheeses are 70% fat, mainly saturated, which increases your risk of heart [...]

    ReplyDelete
  11. Vegan Hypocrisy 101June 25, 2012 at 11:23 PM

    "The more research I do"

    Doesn't sound like you've done any reserach. Regurgitated a lot of unscientific propaganda, yes, but not research. You have failed to cite a single, solitary true fact here.

    ReplyDelete

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *