17 October 2014

Ah shit.

Tycho's daycare provider was telling me this morning that he started saying "ah shit" at multiple times during the day yesterday. She did say that he was using it in context, though, so that's one positive. :)
I knew that this text would one day come, but against my better judgment, I didn't think it'd come so soon. I was an "early cusser", too (my parents have me on video at a year old saying "bullshit, AJ" after said AJ took a toy from my hands), and considering both my mouth and Matt's, as well as previous posts on this very subject, this day was going to be upon us sooner rather than later.

Fortunately, he used it in context, so at least we've got that going for us!

From the mouths of (incredibly, insanely cute) babes...

I'm sure the daycare provider brought it up to us as a point of concern, and I can see why: Other kids can hear and emulate it, and they'll likely bring it home to their parents. Parents who, I'll bet you everything I've got, would be far less tickled by their new vocabulary, regardless of correct context.

If it isn't evident already, Matt and I are okay with letting a little "foul language" reach our son's ears. For the most part, we use these words sparingly and in response to a stimuli that, quite frankly, deserves some strong words. So far, we've been fortunate that Tycho has been too concerned with the sounds certain animals make to worry about picking up a few fucks here and there.

Other than the word itself, though, what does it matter if he says "ah shit", "ah shoot", "ah noodles", or any other variation? The message conveyed is the same, and it's seriously just a word. It's not like some demonic dragon is going to awaken at the utterance of a "bad" word, even if that utterance is made by a toddler.

Honestly, my bigger concern is with other words, like "hate" or "stupid", words that have not yet entered Tycho's vocabulary and that I want to prevent him from saying as long as possible. While they're not "bad" words, as brusque dismissals of people, ideas, and experiences, they should certainly be! When I hear a child call someone or something "stupid", I can't help but think that child is far too cynical for his age and could probably learn a bit about common decency and giving things the old college try.

Is this to say that I never call things "stupid" or never say that I "hate" something? No, I do, though unlike my sailor mouth, I try to curb those before they pass my lips, notably in front of my son. I don't want to discourage Tycho from trying something new or meeting a new person because doing so is "stupid" or because he "hates" it before even attempting it. I want him to experience everything, even those things he may dislike, for the sake of trying it. For the sake of living it!

So do I really fucking care if my son drops the f-bomb or uses "ah shit" appropriately? What the fuck does it fucking matter. It's just a word, and so long as it's not directed at someone, the only downside is that it's not polite. I'd rather Tycho not focus on being so fake that he won't speak freely, including curse words.

But words like "hate" or "stupid"... those words are meant only to disparage. Those words are the real curse.

No, seriously!!


If you like what you just read please click to send a quick vote for me on Top Mommy Blogs- The best mommy blog directory featuring top mom bloggers

No comments:

Post a Comment

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *