07 August 2014

Sirsasana for a soaring heart (and the Loving-Kindness meditation)

via

"Gratitude is when the memory is stored in the heart and not in the mind."
Lionel Hampton

I went to yoga class yesterday feeling a heaviness in my heart and in my mind, one that kept me up until late the night before and woke me up super early the next morning. I was exhausted, physically and mentally, so I approached the practice with a bit of fear.

And of course, considering this month's challenge pose is headstand (Sirsasana), that fear was only heightened. :)

The practice started off with an adaptation of the Loving-Kindness meditation, which we've been doing for a few weeks and from which I've really started to benefit. I've included it at the bottom of this post if you want to give it a try. We then went into vinyasas that prepared us for the base of headstand, and after a quick demonstration, we were off. (Literally. Like, off the ground.)

In my experience, inverted poses can be terrifying before you try them and giddy when you finally achieve them. On an emotional level, inverted asanas turn everything upside down, challenging everything you know about what's up or down, right or wrong. Getting up there shakes your confidence a bit, but increases it exponentially when you get your feet in the air. It's invigorating, and not just because all the blood is rushing to your head!

I'll admit that, the first time I tried headstand and actually achieved it, I did some sort of weird internal cry -- you know, where you just release all your emotions and it comes out not as tears, but as a childlike joy that's difficult to contain. It's said that our emotions are stored deep within our bodies, so when we open those places that are typically closed off, a tidal wave of emotions isn't too far behind.

I found that place yesterday, as I pressed my hands into the floor and sent my feet skyward. All of the stress and anxiety that I had felt throughout that day and the previous day left me in one fell swoop, and I found myself starting to giggle! Stupid move, as I lost my balance and had to engage my core pretty intensely to get my feet back on the ground without toppling over, but man... that sense of happiness took over any self-doubt I may have been holding on to.

Today, I continue to hold that feeling and have pretty much made it my mission to try experiencing this every day. Headstand (and yoga in general!) has made such a positive influence on how I see the world, and I hope it does the same for you, too.

"Since Handstand brings you face to face with your insecurities and fears, it provides a wonderful laboratory where you can observe and work on overcoming all such emotions. Handstand offers a controlled situation in which you can develop self-confidence, courage, and, Cooper emphasizes, a somewhat playful and curious approach to solving challenges."

As promised, here's that Loving-Kindness meditation! I hope you all enjoy it. :)

This meditation focuses on developing loving kindness for three types of people in your life: One who brings you joy, one who may pose a challenge to you, and finally, yourself. The first two people can change each meditation and you should always include yourself; the point is to overcome any negativity or ill feelings, and it begins with developing a loving acceptance of yourself. When you achieve that, you will find it much easier to develop loving-kindness towards others.

Find a comfortable position. You can sit in a meditative pose, prop up against the wall, or even lie down (but don't fall asleep!). Make any adjustments your body may need to achieve relaxation. When you've found your center, close your eyes and focus on your breath. Begin to slow down your breathing, taking in a deep breath and slowly letting it out. Find your calm.

First, envision someone who brings joy to your life, someone who makes it better simply by being who they are. Hold that person's face in the forefront of your mind, and while evoking loving-kindness towards that person, repeat three times:

May you be well.
May you be at peace.
May you be at ease.
May you be happy.

Then, shift your attention to someone in your life who is giving you difficulty. (If this is your first loving-kindness meditation, don't go for the jugular -- instead, choose someone who ranks maybe a five on a scale of 1-10.) Hold that person's face in the forefront of your mind, and while evoking loving-kindness towards that person, repeat three times:

May you be well.
May you be at peace.
May you be at ease.
May you be happy.

Finally, focus inward. You may find it most challenging to wish these things for yourself! But know that you absolutely deserve it as much as anyone else. Hold yourself in the forefront of your mind, and while evoking loving-kindness towards yourself, repeat three times:

May I be well.
May I be at peace.
May I be at ease.
May I be happy.

Note that this meditation may feel mechanical or awkward at times, or even bring up feelings that are contrary to loving-kindness. And that's totally okay! It's important to be patient and kind towards yourself, allowing whatever emotions that arise to be received with a spirit of friendliness and affection. Over time, and (probably most importantly) when you start to feel loving-kindness towards yourself, you'll find that it's much easier to extend that feeling to others.

Namaste. :)

(I'm hoping that blogging about yoga becomes a regular thing, as I've been getting into that -- and running! -- in the hopes that I become fit from the inside, out. So keep an eye out for more posts, maybe some photos of poses, and more inspiration!)


If you like what you just read please click to send a quick vote for me on Top Mommy Blogs- The best mommy blog directory featuring top mom bloggers

No comments:

Post a Comment

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *