29 November 2012

Baby Kit: Weight Gain

First, in case you missed it: Matt and I are having a boy!! :)



Yesterday was my almost-midpoint midwife appointment at Special Beginnings, and it went really well! Though it was shorter than all my other visits so far (most have been at least 45 minutes and up to two hours, this one was about 30 minutes), I felt like all my questions and concerns were addressed. I did forget to mention the nosebleeds I’ve been having pretty regularly, but I did remember a lot. :P

One thing my midwives have learned about me was how in-tune I am with my body and its changes thus far. I kind of pride myself in having a close connection to my body, and it’s no different in pregnancy. I’ve been feeling a lot of movement recently, and when my midwife discussed it with me, she mentioned it was really early to start feeling movement, especially with a first pregnancy. Imagine her surprise when I mentioned that Matt, by stroke of pure luck, felt Kit kick at about 16 weeks!

I also mentioned that, at some points of the day, I’ll walk around and it’ll feel like Kit is being bobbed around in a bowl of water or something, like my abs can’t support Kit or his temporary home. She said that this was normal, too, but like the movement and kicking, most women don’t feel this until later in their pregnancy — in both cases, around 24 weeks. She thought that was pretty cool, too!

Well, it was obvious at that point that weight had come up a couple times, and while she mentioned I was thin, she also mentioned that my weight gain (or lack thereof) is a little cause for concern. Not that she’s terribly worried about it right now, but she says we may need to monitor it a bit. I’ve only gained, as of yesterday’s appointment, around 7lbs, and she expected somewhere around 10-12lbs by 20 weeks, if not by now.

So I’m a little under target for weight.



Not that this should be a huge surprise, though. I’ve had body issues for as long as I can remember, the worst of it coming to a peak when we first moved to Maryland in December 2009. I had left Florida with Matt at my highest weight to date, and you could tell: It was absolutely everywhere. My face, my limbs, my middle were all much bigger than I would have liked. I won’t tell the exact number (not polite to ask a lady’s weight! ;) ), but I can assure you I easily had 20-25lbs to lose.

I made a resolution when we moved here that I would start taking care of myself a lot better. We were eating out a lot in Orlando, going out to bars and restaurants often late at night and often for football games… and y’all know how good football food is for you. It’s really no wonder that I gained so much weight! So we stopped doing this (at least on as regular a basis as it was) and started eating better.

I also started a local yoga class, attending once a week for an hour. While it doesn’t sound like much, that little bit of exercise, plus whatever I did at home, and the changes we made to our diets really helped. A year went by, and I had lost about 15lbs.

The other five to 10 were lost the following year, and I managed to keep it all off that year and the one following. I was never a “calorie-counter” (that’s Matt’s job, a job he can keep, thank you very much), but I was conscious about what I ate and conscious about what I did to better my body.

Through that time, I grew much more in-tune with myself, both physically and emotionally, and I noticed a great change in both. This was a great thing!

The bad thing was when I started associating that physical and emotional well-being with the number on a scale.

I became obsessed with that instead of with calories, restricting myself whenever I saw the numbers start to creep up (even if for a day or two) and chastising myself whenever I ate something that wasn’t great for me. While it never turned into a full-blown eating disorder like anorexia or bulimia — I’m emetophobic, so that never would have happened, at least, lol — it DID become something that consumed my life.

So you can imagine that, considering this is a situation in which I need to gain weight for my own health and that of my unborn child, both in pregnancy and afterward (my midwife stressed the importance of fat stores when breastfeeding), it can be a little triggering to see the number on the scale start to climb. In my mind, I was reversing all the progress I had made and the maintenance I had kept over the years.

[caption id="attachment_1528" align="aligncenter" width="373" caption="18w6d, about 7lbs up from pre-preggo weight."][/caption]

This is something I struggled with from the very beginning of this pregnancy, and something I’m sure I’ll battle until the very end, especially because it’s suggested I gain between 25 and 35lbs over the entire course. Just the mere thought of gaining that sends me into a tizzy.

And of course, my body is working against me in all ways: Any fat that I got in my diet before getting pregnant was consumed through cheese and other dairy, avocados, and peanuts (I’m allergic to tree nuts, so those are out), and they all sound entirely unappealing to me now. Just the though of a PB&J actually makes me want to gag. So… finding things with fats that are vegetarian, without being slathered in oil or deep-fried, is going to be pretty difficult!

Guess I’ll keep y’all updated about that as I go along. :)

The point of all this is that, though I intellectually know that weight gain is good for Kit (especially considering where I started off), I have to start emotionally realizing that and putting at least some bit of weight gain at the forefront. It’s going to take a lot of work, I’m sure, to overcome those hurdles, but it’s what’s best.

After all, it can’t be that difficult to lose after Kit’s born!

6 comments:

  1. While my issues with body weight were on the other end of the scale, having stuggled my whole life to keep my weight off as I'm 5'9" and tend toward the really curvy side. When I was pregnant I was so incredibly sick I actually lost 15lbs and even a pic of food would send me running for the bathroom for almost 7 months. I basically just lived on watermelon, so i was pretty much a vegan at that point... lol. My doctor had me make fruit/juice/yogurt smoothies and add protein powder (which you can get in pretty much any flavor) since I literally couldn't stomach the sight or thought of real food. It really helped. It's all worth it though, munchkin will be 5 in february and he's already up to my ribcage and growing out of his clothes about every 2 months. good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stephanie @ The Coexist CafeNovember 29, 2012 at 5:22 AM

    Thanks, Joanne. :) We haven't yet talked about what we can do to really boost up the weight gain, but protein powder would be a great idea! My work caters breakfast and lunch, and they've been doing these smoothie things. Wonder if I can just add something like that to it...

    I'm glad your pregnancy wasn't ALL terrible (though that sounds miserable, 7 whole months!!) and that your boy is happy and healthy. :) It's so cliche, and I know I'll think that to myself when our little one is sprouting like a weed, but they grow up so fast, don't they?

    ReplyDelete
  3. So, I did (do?... does it every really go away) have anorexia. And pregnancy was hard for all of the reasons you just described. I was underweight when I started and my midwife was really concerned and wanted me to gain at least 35 to 40 pounds over the course of the pregnancy. I managed it the first time but didn't the second (I had morning sickness that lasted for 7 months the second time around). It can be done, and luckily most of the weight the the baby needs to gain is in the second half of things.

    Regarding the weight coming off afterward. If you breastfeed you will need extra calories (and a lot of them) every day. Most people simply can NOT eat enough food to maintain that. So the calories have to come from somewhere... and they come from whatever extra (and sometimes not so extra) weight you happen to have on your body when you deliver that wasn't the actual baby and placenta. So have no fears on that score.

    **hugs**

    - Strix Luna

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stephanie @ The Coexist CafeNovember 29, 2012 at 6:06 AM

    I'm so glad you were able to have healthy pregnancies even in spite of anorexia (and I don't think it ever goes away, either, much like other issues... but they become manageable at times!). :) And I figured the weight was mostly from the second half of things! That's probably why my midwife isn't too concerned yet. Can I ask how you managed to keep up with the weight gain? My main issue now is that the healthy fats (and, let's face it, the not-so-healthy ones, too) are not at ALL appealing.

    That's SUCH a relief. I knew that was the case -- another thing my midwife expressed yesterday was that I need fat stores for breastfeeding, as it can burn up to 1000 calories/day... crazy!! -- but it's good to know that it's a reality! I know not for everyone, but if those calories are gonna be burned, they have to have some effect. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Milkshakes with protein powder after dinner or when you get home from work as a little treat. A lot of good calories there. :-)
    Your belly looks really cute honey. Almost the size of Cindy's. You are catching up!! LOL!!!


    Love you,
    Mom XOXOXOXO

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sound like everything is going ok...One small suggestion call the midwife up and just see what the nose bleed are. My hubby tends to have nose bleed here and there. Usual his nose up inside is dry and cracked usual he ends up putting Vaseline up his nose.

    Coffee is on.

    ReplyDelete

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *