31 March 2013

Mother Blessing for Kit's Mama

(This is related to a Facebook event. Sorry, I'm doing a direct copy/paste from the event itself. :) I hope y'all are able to join in! <3)

[caption id="" align="aligncenter" width="480"] Ooh, and just WAIT until I get the chance to upload all the amazing maternity photos from my amazing friend, Brooke! :D[/caption]

I've been given the wonderful idea of having a sort of Mother Blessing before I go into labor with Kit, and I'd love it if you would participate! I'd like a way to keep all of you in my thoughts while going through labor and birth, and what better way than to have a Mother Blessing. :)

A Mother Blessing (or Blessingway) is an old Navajo ceremony that celebrates a woman's rite of passage into motherhood. Unlike a traditional baby shower, a Mother Blessing is about nurturing the mama-to-be and celebrating motherhood. Considering this, I'm fortunate to have so many mother friends already who are so happy to have me join them!! The Mother Blessing focuses on the mom, and a woman who is given lots of love has more love to give in return.

Since a lot of you are long-distance, I don't want to ask for too much! If you're open to sharing, I ask that you share your birth experiences with me here on this page (or by email, if you're more comfortable with that, at stephanie.ak.fox@me.com) so I may read them while in early labor.

If you're into poetry, storytelling, prayer, or other forms of the written word, I'd love if you would share a blessing through one of these. I hope to collect some and, like the birth stories, add them to a book, journal, or scrapbook to bring to labor as well. I can have Matt or my doula read some of them. :)

And finally, I'd love to have you all there with me in some shape or form! If you would like, I'd love it if you could select and send me a bead to string onto a cord and wear during labor. (I'll pick the cord, no worries there.) It's so amazing to know I'm already surrounded by so much love and support, and I would love to have a physical reminder of your presence. I've added my address to this event in case you're able to do this.

If you can do any of these, I would appreciate it forever! Even knowing that you've accepted an invite to this "event" makes my heart grow with love. :)

Thank you all!! I look forward to letting you know when Kit and I make the journey through labor and birth, and I know y'all will be in it, too!

1 comment:

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *