21 February 2013

Pregnancy: 31w

Stats from my last midwife appointment (Tuesday):
  • Weight: 146 (+20)

  • BP: 110/65

  • Fetal HR: 140s (and he cooperated! FINALLY)

  • Fundal height: 30.5, right on target

  • Anemia: Nope!

  • Syphilis (lol): Nope!

  • Gestational diabetes: Nope! :D

  • PPD risk: 12 (high of 10) -- moderate risk

  • Next appointment: 13 March
31w

And the weeks continue to tick by!

Two things: First, I noted on Facebook that a coworker keeps "joking" that I'm "gaining weight". She did it again yesterday ("Seriously, we need to do something about this weight gain!"), and then she apologized -- kind of -- and launched into this story about how she gained 60-70lbs with each of her children. So now I've confirmed that it's not just her (though it IS still wildly inappropriate), it's that she's a bit jealous.

Which... whatever. I can't control either my weight gain or hers, or anyone else's.

Second, another coworker here asked if I was due in April (as she's heard) or June (what she thought), and I said, "April, thank heavens!" ;) She said she had to ask because I looked so small and she didn't believe I was due so early, lol.

This is all funny, as I feel HUGE but small at the same time. Looks like everyone else thinks that, too. LOL

Anyway...

What I love: How Kit's movements are such DRAMATIC rolls recently. He's much less kicky, much more slow stabby, it's kind of funny.

What I hate: My bigger belly, if only because I’m super self-conscious about it. [Same] My weight, but I'm trying to get over that. And the fact that reaching my shoes is getting harder, even if my belly is "tiny"!

What I miss: My body, lol. [Same]

What I’m looking forward to the most: April!! Okay, okay... I have two months left to go. I'm looking forward to our St. Patrick's Day diaper shindig. :)

Worries: Cesarean delivery. I’m still freaking out a bit about that. [Same]

Symptoms: A bigger belly, pregnancy rhinitis, soooooo tiiiiiiired, RLP. [Same] The third-trimester exhaustion is kicking in, I think. Yikes...

Mood: Good! Feeling a little anxious as my EDD gets closer, but I’m doing all right. :) [Same]

Sleep: On and off. I snore, apparently, which wakes both me and Matt up and frustrates us both. I've been falling asleep earlier, too, but find myself still tired in the morning. Blech.

Movement: Lots of it! Mostly rolls and nudges rather than hard kicks, it’s coming down to, but he still moves a LOT. [Same]

The belly (and the button!): Bigger belly, much more shallow belly button. STILL not flat, even if it is much more shallow than before. It's starting to pucker. LOL

Wedding rings on or off: On!

Weight gain: I’m up 20lbs from my pre-pregnancy weight! Every bit closer to 150 is making me panic.

Milestones: Um... IDK! Still here! XD

How your baby's growing:

This week, your baby measures over 16 inches long. He weighs about 3.3 pounds (try carrying four navel oranges) and is heading into a growth spurt. He can turn his head from side to side, and his arms, legs, and body are beginning to plump out as needed fat accumulates underneath his skin. He's probably moving a lot, too, so you may have trouble sleeping because your baby's kicks and somersaults keep you up. Take comfort: All this moving is a sign that your baby is active and healthy.

How your life's changing:

Have you noticed the muscles in your uterus tightening now and then? Many women feel these random contractions — called Braxton Hicks contractions — in the second half of pregnancy. Often lasting about 30 seconds, they're irregular, and at this point, they should be infrequent and painless. Frequent contractions, on the other hand — even those that don't hurt — may be a sign of preterm labor. Call your practitioner immediately if you have more than four contractions in an hour or any other signs of preterm labor: an increase in vaginal discharge or a change in the type of discharge (if it becomes watery, mucus-like, or bloody — even if it's pink or just tinged with blood); abdominal pain or menstrual-like cramping; an increase in pressure in the pelvic area; or low back pain, especially if you didn't have it before.

You may have noticed some leaking of colostrum, or "premilk," from your breasts lately. If so, try tucking some nursing pads into your bra to protect your clothes. (And if not, it's certainly nothing to worry about; your breasts are making colostrum all the same, even if you don't see any.) If your current bra is too snug, you might also want to pick up a nursing bra. Choose a nursing bra at least one cup size bigger than you need now. When your milk comes in you'll be grateful for that extra room!

If you're having a boy, you and your partner will want to take some time to think about whether or not to have your baby circumcised. Find out the pros and cons from your doctor, and what the procedure involves.
Choosing a focal point "I'm 31 weeks along, and at my childbirth classes they've been telling us to concentrate on a focal point during labor. Anything from a picture to a crack in the wall or ceiling can work, so long as it helps Mom relax and distracts her from the pain." — Anonymous

This Week's Activity:

You don't need to pack your bag yet, but start making a list of items to bring to the hospital. Besides a change of clothes and a toothbrush, some items to include:
  • A photograph or object to focus on during labor

  • Snacks to keep your energy up and gum or mints for bad breath

  • Cozy socks and slippers

  • Your favorite pillow

  • Some light reading material

  • A nursing nightie and nursing bra

  • A going-home outfit for your baby

  • A camera or camcorder, fresh batteries, and film, if necessary

7 comments:

  1. it seems that being pregnant makes people loose their common courtesy filter. I had the opposite, since I gained so much. Always the "are you sure it's not twins?" or "your only how many weeks?", like I wasn't already self-conscious enough of my weight gain. And these were from highly educated people too (doctors that I work with).

    I think you look fabulous, as long as Kit is healthy, you are the right size.

    I didn't pack my hospital bag until i was 38 weeks. I was too tired most nights to remember to do it.

    I would advise packing snacks for two and to pack double what you think you would eat. We didn't pack any and I completely regretted it. My husband was a grouch for a good portion of the time - he's seriously like those snickers 'diva' commercials.

    I would also advise waiting to buy nursing tops until after your milk comes in and to get the tanks, they're way more comfortable and don't ride up like the wireless nursing bras. But then again, I have major boobage, so it might be different for you. Overall, it's just been easier to lounge in a nursing tank than trying to wrestle with a shirt and a bra - especially during a cluster feed. Plus, if you do nurse in front of others, the tank will cover up your stomach (a major plus to me) - I usually just throw a shirt on top to look more 'presentable'.

    ReplyDelete
  2. sorry, that 'your' should be 'you're', it's hard typing one handed while holding a sleeping baby.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I honestly think that's the case! Because seriously, that was just rude. You were beautiful when pregnant, by the way. Don't let the haters hate. :)

    That snack thing is a GREAT idea. I'll have to figure out what all to pack. Matt's kind of the same way... not quite "diva"-like as you describe (though that literally made me LOL ;)), but he definitely gets a little cranky. Better to be prepared than not. I'm sorry your husband was a PITA!

    Oh, and YES, definitely. I'm going to wait even if my boobage isn't all that great, for that very reason... I'd much rather have something that fit. I love the idea of nursing tanks, too -- I live in tank tops, anyway, so if I could have the best (breast...?) of both worlds, then absolutely. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. All I can say is...you must have been TINY when you started, because you still look tiny to me. I agree with Alicia's comment, it's so weird how people think they can just outright comment on your body and your weight just because you're pregnant. As if they own an opinion on you or something. How weird. I think you look super cute, btw :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. How do they determine PPD risk?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hahaha! Relatively tiny, I guess. I look back at pictures of myself pre-pregnancy and am like, "Oh WOW, I guess I HAVE come a long way." It's bizarre!

    Gah, and THANK YOU. It's like you become public property when you're pregnant. It's driving me crazy, but at least it's not TOO bad.

    Thank you, darlin'! <3

    ReplyDelete
  7. There's a survey you take at some point, a depression scale of sorts. Using that, they try to determine your PPD risk. They counsel everyone regardless as you never know, but my results were a bit skewed thanks to the OCD/GAD. Still, it was good information. :)

    ReplyDelete

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *