09 February 2012

Cheese makes you fat? How about... too much food, too little exercise makes you fat?




Dieting aficionados, celebrate! There's yet another food you can strike off your "allowed foods" list, and you'll find yourself dropping pounds instantly!

... yeah, it's just about as stupid as it sounds. There's no "quick fix", no instant cure, no real way to drop weight unless you be careful what you eat and get off your butt once in a while. So when I see or hear about these ads that accuse one food in particular as the culprit for our nation's weight problems, my skin prickles a bit.

Not to say that cheese (and other dairy, for that matter) can't be bad for your health; after all, your typical cheeses are 70% fat, mainly saturated, which increases your risk of heart disease and diabetes if eaten in excess. They also contain a whole helluva lot of cholesterol and sodium. When you take into account that the average American eats upwards of 33 pounds of cheese per year and consider what a single serving of cheese actually looks like (1.5 ounces, or about the size of a 9-volt battery, of natural, hard cheese like cheddar, Swiss, or Parmesan), you can only imagine the toll it's having on our health.

We could all stand to eat a little less cheese, sure. But we can also stand to eat a little less food overall and to instead balance that shitty food with more healthy food. While many Americans have strange thoughts on what kind of eating and what kind of food is "healthy", though -- a question that grows more and more complicated as we "discover" new fad diets, designate new deadly foods, and convert foodstuffs (and sometimes non-foodstuffs...) into processed "food" products -- I prefer the rather easy way Michael Pollan puts healthy eating:
"Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants."

It sounds simple, it really does. And in some way, it really is. And and... if you were to take that quote and apply it to the billboards above, sure! That means a lot less cheese as, after all, cheese isn't a plant.

(... not always, at least.)

But to say that a particular food is what's causing our nation's obesity epidemic is myopic at best and reckless at worst. A study performed by the Women’s Health Initiative, which spanned a total of five years (the start of the trial in 1993 and its conclusion in 1998, with a mean follow-up analysis of 8.1 years), that proved a low-fat diet, even low in saturated fat, had very little effect on the reduction of diseases, including coronary heart disease, stroke, and cardiovascular disease. You're still eating the crap, just the less-fatty versions of it!

Unfortunately, there was no study performed as to the low-fat diet's effect on weight, but other studies that have been conducted reveal that low-fat diets simply don't cut the mustard (or, erm... low-fat cottage cheese) and are difficult to maintain when compared to other diets.

So what does all of this mean? If cheese isn't causing our obesity, what is?

Let's break down Michael Pollan's quote:

  • "Eat food." Simple enough; food is readily abundant in several parts of the United States and other countries. It typically isn't difficult to obtain some sort of nourishment through food.



  • "Not too much." I should probably add here, "And not too much crap", but that's pretty much implied. Now this is where the rubber starts to meet the road. It's been coined the Standard American Diet, or its appropriately-abbreviated "SAD": A diet high in animal fats, unhealthy fats, and processed foods (and in excess of all three!) while low in dietary fiber, complex carbohydrates, and plant-based foods. It's been noted that the typical American diet consists of 50% simple carbohydrates, 15% animal proteins, and 35% fats. And where are we getting all this terrible food? In 2004, the average American ate about 3/4 of its restaurant meals from fast-food joints, and those meals typically consisted of a hamburger, French fries, or poultry... with 1/3 of the meals complimented with a carbonated beverage. Caloric consumption has grown by nearly a quarter between 1970 and 2008, and about 10% of those calories are from high-fructose corn syrup! If one were to take away the bad stuff we were eating and cut down on what we ate overall (after all, "not too much"!), it would contribute greatly to a better lifestyle and better overall health.



  • "Mostly plants." This is where I think the billboard actually has it right. While it's unfair to say that one food (in this case, cheese) is the cause of all our weight and health problems, there is something to be said about the source of those billboards: PCRM, or the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine, advocates for a mainly plant-based diet in general and encourages vegan diets in specific as the sponsors of the 21-Day Vegan Kickstart diet. As a vegetarian, it's obvious that I would be okay with and maybe even back an organization that is devoted to more healthy, plant-based diet, and studies have consistently shown that vegetarian and vegan diets are better for our overall health (provided those diets don't subsist on processed veg*n foods). I'm not saying that everyone needs to go veg*n (despite how awesome it would be if everyone did, haha), but others should take a page out of a veg*n cookbook and give a lower animal-based diet a look and a try.


A more plant-based diet isn't necessarily difficult, but it does involve a changed mindset. It means treating your steak as a side and your veggies as a main course, feeling the munchies come on and reaching for ants on a log instead of a Twinkie, and finding alternatives to your otherwise meat-laden dinners.

So go on and eat that cheese if you want... just be sure it's sparingly, balanced with a bunch of veggies, and managed with exercise (like I said, get off that butt) to keep your body -- and your waistline! -- in check. ;)

6 comments:

  1. This is the exact argument I've been having with my Mother since... Well I don't remember how long for. It's not about the latest diet, it's about eating a healthy and balanced diet daily and getting exercise in. Unfortunately the exercise part is the part I'm not very good at; gyms don't work for me since they made everything be all digital so I can't work the equipment (plus refuse to pay to be there as a free side-show act, which is what I'm made to feel like when everyone decides to stop their workouts to watch the blind lady) and I can't go for a run since running while useing my cane just isn't going to work. I'm working on going for more walks in hopes that will do the trick, since it's the only thing I can think of that I can do safely. But, anyway, like I said, just a balanced diet and exercise; that's all there is too it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stephanie @ The Coexist CafeFebruary 10, 2012 at 4:38 AM

    THANK YOU for such a thoughtful comment! I've known people to jump from diet to diet with little to no success, and the key is really simple: Eat less, move more, lose weight. And be healthier while you're at it. I hope it sinks in for your mom sooner rather than later!

    And as for you and exercise, you have a much bigger obstacle than anyone can ever imagine, and while it's your eyesight, it's not a physical impairment, you know? You can move around just fine, but you have a challenge that many people don't have, one that makes a lot of things difficult. I'm actually not sure of a remedy except getting a treadmill at home, but I'm so happy to know that you do get out and explore; even walking is worth a lot. :) And I'm sure Kero keeps you busy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, he does; plus we've just adopted a labrador that belonged to my Mam, and she's going to need plenty of walks!


    I did consider getting a treadmill for at home. The thing that stops me is a combination of funds to buy it and room to put it. I did used to have an exercise bike, but I gave it to my brother when I couldn't take it when I went to Canada and never got a replacement. I really should have, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent post. I don't understand what people find so difficult about the plant based diet thing. Other than that people are lazy and stupid. I know that's harsh, but you know what I mean.

    I'm bad when it comes to cheese. It's my current major food vice. But it's also by FAR my primary fat source, so I think it's ok. For now. As long as it's HUMANE, vegetarian (non-animal rennet) cheese.

    One caveat I always have to make to Punky about eating mainly plants: they don't mean potatoes, corn, and wheat. At least, not in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stephanie @ The Coexist CafeFebruary 24, 2012 at 4:42 AM

    Aw yay! That's so exciting!! I haven't been around the internetz recently, but I'll swing by and see if you have pics. :) My in-laws recently got a yellow lab (I'm INSANELY allergic, so I only saw her for, like, ten seconds), and she's beautiful.

    Yeah, funds and space are definitely issues when it comes to exercise equipment. I wonder if you could maybe do some other things at home, like calisthenics or something? I imagine they'd be a bit more difficult when you can't see, but the point is just to move around... and if there's music or something, have fun doing it, too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stephanie @ The Coexist CafeFebruary 24, 2012 at 4:52 AM

    Thanks, Colleen! I do know what you mean: My sister-in-law -- I love her to death, but this just gets my goat -- is a "vegetarian", but she takes the easy way out and simply eats carbs and cheese, nothing really vegetable base (and no, corn is not a cheese). She and Punky should meet, actually; their diets sound very similar, though my SIL is admittedly much older than Punky. ;)

    I'm bad when it comes to cheese and other dairy, too; I try to make a conscious effort to at least obtain them from humane sources, but it's difficult if you don't know exactly from where it's coming. I'm hoping to one day become involved with a farm, possibly by the time we have children, so we can learn where all this comes from AND get dairy products (and maybe meat for Matt) from a reliable, humane source.

    The battles... so many to choose!!

    ReplyDelete

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *