04 September 2013

FYI (if you're a teenager)

respect

I'm often incredibly glad we have a son. Matt and I sometimes walk through the toy aisles, waxing poetic about all the fun stuff Tycho will get to play with when he gets older (and yes, this includes "girly" things like play kitchenettes and dolls). We both shudder a bit, though, when we walk through the girl's aisle, which resembles a modern-day, sparkly Lisa Frank vomit-fest. The fact that girls' toys trend towards all that is pink and glittery is a rant for another day, but for purposes of this post, Matt and I are just glad that we get to bypass that aisle altogether.

We also don't have to deal with a lot of crap that little (and not-so-little) girls have to put up with, like how their dress or their behavior may be seen as "inappropriate", "unladylike", or my personal favorite, "slutty". While I do agree that today's trends could use a bit of tone-the-fuck-down, it's not so much a gender issue as it is a societal one.

Which is why it ruffled my feathers a bit when I read this post from Given Breath:
[...] We hope to raise men with a strong moral compass, and men of integrity don’t linger over pictures of scantily clad high-school girls.

Every day I pray for the women my boys will love.  I hope they will be drawn to real beauties, the kind of women who will leave them better people in the end. I also pray that my sons will be worthy of this kind of woman, that they will be patient – and act honorably – while they wait for her.

Girls, it’s not too late! If you think you’ve made an on-line mistake (we all do – don’t fret – I’ve made some doozies), RUN to your accounts and take down  anything that makes it easy for your male friends to imagine you naked in your bedroom.

Now, this irritates me on a few different levels, not the least of which is slut-shaming and blaming teenage girls and women on the whole. After all, are we solely responsible for a man's wanton sexual desires? Should we cover every last inch of our bodies or, on a less extreme note, moderate each item of clothing we own to be sure it's "appropriate" for a male population that obviously can't keep it in its pants otherwise?

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for a level of modesty. However, it's because I appreciate a culture that is a bit more refined, not as a determining factor in whether a girl is "asking for it" (whether "it" is an unwanted sexual advance or even a "harmless" ogle). Rather than teaching the boys that they need to control themselves and treat women with respect no matter the circumstance, it puts the onus solely on women.

So, as an FYI to teenagers of either sex:

  • Know your worth. Know that you're an incredible, independent, intelligent, capable individual who can choose what is best for yourself and who will try to do well to others, including in your attire and your manner.

  • Treat others with the same respect as you would want for yourself. Young men, treat women like ladies; young women, treat men like gentlemen. Everyone, treat human beings as such!


And to my own son: I hope to raise you to become a young man who respects women, who sees them as his equals rather than his inferiors or as objects, who treats them with the dignity they deserve. I trust wholeheartedly that you will even exceed my expectations! For I know you'll be a young man who takes responsibility for his own actions and his own thoughts, regardless of the reason, and not only because you want to make your mother proud... but because you would want to treat every woman as you would your own mother.

... and I know you plan on treating me well. ;)

 

(Also, LOL @ her posting with her boys scantily-clad, if you will. She did post what I assume is an "apologetic" post with everyone covered up, but still. Major eyeroll at the hypocrisy.)

 

(Also also, read this post by From One Degree To Another (I love love LOVE this one). "I’m not telling you to not look at women.  Just the opposite.  I’m telling you to see women.  Really see them.  Not just with your eyes, but with your heart.  Don’t look to see something that tickles your senses, but see a human being.")

2 comments:

  1. Ugh she didn't even change the words on the second post. I can't even. I feel bad for her daughter. I have both a little boy and a little girl, and guess what? I don't teach or treat them any different based on their gender. My son has girly toys, the sparkly pink ones. My daughter will play with trucks. I've even let my son wear a pink shirt. I've also said some nasty remarks, after repeatedly saying the same thing politely, when a stranger decided to tell my son repeatedly, you don't want that its a girl's toy YUCK, following me and my kids through Target's toy section.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha. I didn't even notice the fact that the original post had pictures of her sons half-naked on the beach. Funny.

    Stephanie, on my phone are photos of the toys in the "girly isle" at Target. Aside from the fact that they are all pink and sparkly, the toys you find there are cleaning supplies or cash registers or baby dolls and their assorted accessories or princess dress-up attire. It drives me nuts. My dad thinks I'm being difficult and reading into it too much, but it always bothers me that the expectation is that girls are expected to have toys that are centered around gender norms, like a broom or Baby Poops A Lot. Or the fact that at BBB there is a kitchen set for boys (you know, it looks like a normal kitchen) and for girls (it is pink and purple). You know which one I'm going to buy Riley? The normal one. BECAUSE KITCHENS AREN'T TYPICALLY PINK AND PURPLE. And, you know, it's not that I won't buy her a toy broom or baby doll or a kitchen or anything that is classically "female," it's just I don't think those define "girly toys." My husband cooks way more than I do. I hate cooking. HATE IT. So yeah. /rant

    ReplyDelete

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *