03 May 2013

This crunchy hippie mama is doing what?!

I'm not sure when I'll be brave enough to post this. As of the start of this entry, Tycho is 10 days old, so we'll see how long it takes me to actually... you know, buck up the courage. :)

I was so lucky to have the most perfect birth I could have ever asked for. It was at a birth center, no interventions, with supportive people, in water... it seriously could not have gotten better. I was taken aback by how quickly and ideally it worked out, and have come to savor in it.

Everything since then, however, has been completely different.

I had all these pragmatic ideas on how we would raise Tycho: We would cloth diaper (after his umbilical stump came off, as even the BG newborn AIOs were too big for him!), I would exclusively breastfeed (EBF), we'd introduce a bottle only when preparing for daycare, we would cosleep. Literally none of those have worked out.

And you know what? I'm okay with that.

Probably the most poignant "loss" I experienced was the breastfeeding relationship... if you could even call it that. As a side note, I ended up getting some mild PPD after his birth, and for at least the first week of his life, I was in a desperate fog where I actually found Tycho to be so much a burden that I wanted nothing more to do with him. Nursing was the main issue, as it took at least an hour each time, and though his latch and suck were strong, it didn't seem effective if he was on the boob for that length of time. He was eating every two hours, and considering one of those hours was spent actually feeding him, I only had a break for an hour before he'd be crying with hunger again. This went on day and night, leaving me exhausted and cringing at the thought of the next feeding.

Not to mention what all this did to my nipples. After only a couple days, Tycho had made some deep gouges in both of them, my right nipple especially, and I came to dread each time I would have to feed him. So it wasn't only taking forever and leaving me drained and exhausted, but I would come close to crying at the thought of that one hour of rest flying by because I knew I would be in so much pain.

But I went through it for another few days. By day seven, I had given up, telling Matt that I didn't want to do it anymore. I ended up supplementing by pumping for a day or two after that. Pumping showed that I was making enough milk (if barely), and I'd have 3 ounces from both breasts combined. Pumping came with its own struggle, though -- when I wasn't feeding him bottled breastmilk, I was pumping, tied down to a machine that left me feeling like a dairy cow. It would take a half-hour at least to get that milk out, and when you add that to feeding him (another half-hour) and that he was still feeding every two hours, I wasn't saving myself any time or energy.

The final straw came when, in a fit of desperation, I supplemented with formula -- Similac Sensitive, to be precise. He took to it really well, so well that I debated throwing in the towel altogether. I still had some pumped breastmilk in the fridge, though, that we wanted to use up before deciding if it would be the end or not, so in between formula bottles, we gave him a bottle with breastmilk.

It ended up being the last time he would touch the stuff. Not even twenty minutes after the breastmilk bottle, Tycho started to look really ill. He was lethargic, his face was contorted, and his stomach was making all these terrible noises. Finally, he released a torrent of breastmilk (and some partially-digested formula!) all over me, himself, the couch, a prefold we've been using as a burp rag, everything. And while he did look better, he still slept for four straight hours after that, obviously recuperating from the ordeal. Gave me a bit of time to hop in the shower. :P

So we decided, that's it, we're done. At that point, he became an exclusively formula-fed (EFF) baby, and he's been doing so much better.

I asked Matt several times while feeding him if we were terrible parents for deciding to EFF. While switching did wonders for the onset of that PPD, it still screwed with my mind -- it's not what I wanted for Tycho! I was planning on EBFing him for at least a year, if not much longer. Choosing formula destroyed any chance of that, especially since I decided we would never go back and would let my milk supply dry up. I was a failure, a crunchy hippie mama who could have an all-natural birth but who couldn't -- and eventually wouldn't -- feed her baby breastmilk. An utter (udder?) failure!

Gods bless my husband, my doula, and the woman who did my placenta encapsulation, who all kept reassuring me that it was for the best, both for my mental health (as it started to steadily improve after this decision) and for Tycho, as he clearly didn't do well after that expressed milk. Matt kept saying, we were formula-fed, we turned out fine, he would do great as well. And he needed a healthy mom.

Tycho is now almost three weeks old (as of tomorrow!), and we're very happy with how everything is going. We did end up switching his formula under the supervision of his pediatrician, from Similac Sensitive to Gerber Good Start Gentle, and he's doing great on it. I also love that Matt can help with the feedings, and like me, he enjoys gazing into our son's eyes as he looks up at us with his "Thank you, oh giver of life!" look. :)

In the end, I found that I was my own worst enemy when it came to switching to EFFing. I had always been a "breast is best!" pragmatic... asshole (I'll admit it!) when defending breastfeeding, so you can imagine how much an asshole I was to myself when we ended up making the switch. I beat myself up terribly, blaming myself for his latch and my production and the way he reacted to the expressed milk when he had already gotten used to formula. I didn't feel like a terrible mother, I was a terrible mother.

Now that he's been on formula for almost two weeks and I see just how much he's thriving, I've loosened up a bit. I no longer feel like I'm poisoning my son when I go to feed him, I don't feel like I have failed him in some way, and I take joy in the way he gazes in my direction as he eats. At this point, you could even call me a fearless formula feeder... many thanks to Melissa for that site!

Formula feeding does not mean you've failed your child in any way. Whether it be due to lifestyle, inability, or PPD as in my case, or whatever other reason you decide to EFF, you're not screwing over your baby. After all, my mother didn't fail me when I went on formula at 6 weeks, and Matt's mother didn't fail him when she started formula-feeding at 2 weeks. If anything, they've still raised two perfectly capable, intelligent, healthy, striking individuals... who have now created an individual of their own and are feeding him in a similar fashion.

And I know Tycho will grow up to be just the same: Capable, intelligent, healthy, and striking. All qualities we plan on feeding him not through formula, but through our parenting. :)

(Now a photo dump... as I just can't get enough of this kid!! <3)

IMG_3593

IMG_3653

IMG_3662

IMG_3672

9 comments:

  1. I've said it before and I'll say it again. What is really important is that baby is being fed! What you feed him and how you feed him is secondary.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh darlin, how difficult for you! I'm so glad that all the supportive people in your life are helping you stop beating yourself up (hooray Matt!!). So glad you're all doing well and I can't wait to meet him!

    ReplyDelete
  3. YAY Tycho pictures! I love him (we've already discussed the other things ^_^) Much love to all three of you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. While I can't say that I know what you're going through, I can empathize with your frustration at things not going exactly the way you want them to. The good news: this is just preparing you for the millions more times that this will happen, because it happens to everyone. I'm happy that you guys found balance. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. He is so cute!

    Breastfeeding is *hard*. I don't think many people realize how difficult it is until they actually start doing it. For some women, it's natural. For others, it's a total struggle. Toby had an awful latch and we struggled for awhile before working out the kinks. I'm glad you tried - that's what's important. Breast isn't always best. It isn't in your situation and that's okay. You are still an amazing, caring, loving mother.

    And to be honest, after spending 9 days pumping for the majority of the day bc I'm in the hospital with Dustin, I envy formula feeders. My supply has tanked bc I'm so stressed and the stress of only pumping 7 oz while he drinks 20 oz away from me stresses me out more and makes it worse. It's hard.

    FWIW, we didn't start doing cloth until Toby was about a month old. It took us awhile for life to calm down enough to do cloth. And while Dustin is in the hospital and I'm staying with my aunt and uncle, Toby is back in sposies because it's easier.

    Much love to you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey lady!

    I'm in full support of women doing things the natural way, if they are called to do it...or the "unnatural" way, as it were, if that's what the Goddess has in store for her and her children.

    While it's awesome that greater opportunities are opening up to go natural in the childrearing realm, I think we should all be taking a look at how much perfectionism has invaded the space, too. Some might even argue that "perfect mother" pressure has increased tenfold in the last decade, and is at war with feminism. After all, being able to do what is necessary for oneself is VITAL to being able to consistently and willingly serve a child.

    It's only necessary to be "good enough". Books and magazines and Pinterest and other mamas can offer possibilities for improvement over that, but trying to do everything perfectly is crippling. I'm not surprised that your depression lifted a bit when you let yourself off the hook. There are so many hurdles that HAVE to be overcome as a parent, I think it's normal to choose some things to compromise on to save energy for the big fights.

    Good luck and enjoy that sweet little man!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah shoot, my comment didn't go through. Stupid computer!
    First congratulations, I loved reading his birth story. I envy you for the water birth and the photos are beautiful.
    Second, I'm glad you're not beating yourself up on the breastfeeding. Sometimes it just doesn't work and thankfully there is formula so the baby won't starve.
    No one tells you how hard it is in the beginning (until you're in it). Seriously you always hear how rewarding it is and everything but then your baby's born and you get hit in the face by the biggest learning curve of your life on which you feel your baby's life depends on. No pressure right?
    My daughter didn't latch for 40h. It was very stressful. I was lucky that she was born in a Baby friendly hospital and to have wonderful nurses and lactation consultants who helped me keep my supply and get her to latch. Now we're cruising (although nursing isn't a short affair). Oh and yes, it hurts in the beginning. My nipples were not used to be sucked on like that and that often.
    But anyway, what matters is that you take care of yourself so yourself so you can take care of your baby! Happy mama, happy baby.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Actually, just the opposite -- she did have several people did tell her how hard it would be. ;) But I agree -- a lot of what you hear is people who think it is all unicorns and rainbows. Many don't touch on the fact that a lot of women may experience "baby blues" which can turn into full blown PPD/PPA.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That first month was the worse in terms of breastfeeding and it really did make me understand moms who take a different route. I too was severely chapped/cracked. She was usually on the breast for about an entire hour. And then, she would only give me a quite break before going right back to feeding. I know we gave her expressed milk once in the car because I didn't want to have to take her out of her seat to breastfeed and she regurgitated everything when we got to our destination. I think she got too much too quickly, but it was scary. It sounded similar to what you described with Tycho.

    ReplyDelete

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *