10 January 2012

Rainbow Light Certified Organics Prenatal Vitamins

I started these a little late, but better late than never, right?

Since CD17, I've been taking prenatal vitamins in the hope that it'll kickstart some good vitamins for the future baby (and for me!). I had checked out a couple places before that for vegetarian prenatals, but always found them so hard to come by; even CVS Pharmacy told me that their selection on the floor included no vegetarian prenatals, but they did have them available for prescription. As I still don't have a PCP (yeah, I know), that was pretty much useless.

Thank heavens for the internet. I started searching for vegetarian prenatals and came across a few options. After doing some pretty intensive research on each brand, I finally settled on Rainbow Light Certified Organics Prenatal Vitamins, and put my order in for two bottles through Amazon.

I've never been one for vitamins. Each time I've tried a new one, they always seem to upset my stomach in some way, so I usually stop taking them after three days or so. The reviews for this product said they're gentle on the tummy and don't cause stomach upset (they'd better not -- pregnant women (a group I'd love to be a part of soon!) need to keep their food and their vitamins down, haha), and so far, I've noticed that to be true. I've been taking them for five days now, and I've yet to have a negative reaction!

The list of vitamins and nutrients go on for miles, but the ones I was especially interested in:
  • Vitamin B12 - Vitamin B12 is in all standard multivitamins and vegetarian supplements. As it's not created naturally by humans or any other animal, nor at all in nature, the vitamins utilize a compound called cyanocobalamin, which is easily converted by humans to active (cofactor) forms of the vitamin, such as methylcobalamin... actual B12.

  • Vitamin D - This supplement is NOT vegan, for those of you who may be wondering. It's derived from D3, cholecalciferol, which is an animal-based product -- in this case, lanolin, which is a substance secreted from the sebaceous glands of sheep. Sounds kinda gross when you put it that way, actually...
B12 is one I've always been concerned about due to it not being naturally present, and D because I found out that I was once incredibly deficient. So to have those two is a huge plus for me!

The vitamins also contain organic ginger root juice, which is great for warding off nausea, and digestive support ingredients because, hey, no one likes being stopped up.

There you have it... my review of Rainbow Light prenatals. I have to say I'm incredibly pleased so far, and I'll probably continue these vitamins even for eventual postnatal care.

9 comments:

  1. What is left out of vegetarian prenatals vs. regular prenatals? i'd love to see a comparison. I wouldn't have even thought that vitamins wouldn't be vegetarian, LOL. ;)

    also, just a word of caution - even the gentle on the tummy prenatals can be upsetting during that first trimester. make sure you eat them with lots of food. and if it gets bad, try right before bed. I took flintstone chewables as my vitamins when I was pregnant because I couldn't stomach the mutli vitamins.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What's left out is the gelatin and other animal-based binding material. Most prenatals (in fact, most vitamins in general) have a gelatin coating or gelcap to make them go down easier; a vegetarian prenatal will have a different, vegetable-based coating that's more suitable for veg*ns, like vegetable cellulose. I used to take these Women's One-A-Day vitamins until I learned they have gelatin in them! The binding material is often animal-based, too, so I stay away from those. Vegetarians often have to take vitamins that are specifically labeled -- if you check out the link, there's an "allergen safeguard" at the bottom that lists the ingredients left out that can sometimes be in other vitamins.

    Funny, the things you have to think of when you restrict your own diet! LOL

    I have noticed that what little stomach upset I do get (though at this point, I honestly don't know if it's due to the vitamins or the flood of hormones) is settled with a bit of food. I'm at this weird point, too, where I get nauseous if I don't have food, but I don't feel like eating, then I feel hungrier, which makes the nausea *worse*... geezus! But yes, definitely taking them with food. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You didn't mention folic acid (although I assume all pre-natal vitamins have this.). Remember that folic acid is really really important in the first trimester, my doc said to make sure I took it for at least 3 months pre-ttc :)

    This is exciting! Congrats on trying and thanks for inviting me to read your blog <3 Love ya,

    ReplyDelete
  4. "I have noticed that what little stomach upset I do get (though at this point, I honestly don’t know if it’s due to the vitamins or the flood of hormones) is settled with a bit of food. I’m at this weird point, too, where I get nauseous if I don’t have food, but I don’t feel like eating, then I feel hungrier, which makes the nausea *worse*… geezus!"

    That sounds like morning sickness to me... that's *exactly* how mine was.

    I wrote this during my first trimester - I wanted a place to vent where the couple of people who knew early could see it, but it was anonymous so if anyone else read it they wouldn't know it was me (didn't want to announce it before 2nd trimester): http://anonymousepregnancy.wordpress.com (RANDOM FUN FACT: The "coolest & most fun path-nurse ever" was also the same one who did the blood test at my 6-week checkup! I told her so, & she thought that was really cool getting to meet a baby whose existance she confirmed!). It ends a few days before we started announcing the pregnancy though, so it's not all that informative, but you might find bits of it interesting (eg: my early symptoms & whatever).

    ReplyDelete
  5. That should read: "I didn't want to announce it MUCH before 2nd trimester" (9-10 weeks? I was ok with that. 6weeks? Not so much, haha!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, they absolutely have folic acid! 125% of your RDV. I wasn't concerned when I bought these as I figured many prenatals had it; I did check, but it wasn't a huge concern compared to the vitamins above. (I'm still really worried about that vitamin D deficiency.) I didn't start it until a day before ovulation, but hey, better late than never!

    Thanks, SB! I'm so glad you're here. Thank you for being such an amazing friend, and love you, too. :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, THAT'S who that is!! I was wondering who this random A Nony Mouse was. Fantastic, I'll have to go through your archives. :) Thank you! And obviously, you guys will all know for sure earlier than that, I'm guessing -- I do want to tell our families first, of course, but after that? Game on. ;)

    Anyway, about the morning sickness... yeah, I guess it does sound a lot like that. It's incredibly frustrating! I also find myself hungry in the morning, which is very unlike me -- I've never been a breakfast person, but now I feel like I "need" it to quell my stomach and the nausea that comes with it. Fun times, fun times... LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aw yay! I love these vitamins! :D Almost as much as I love youuu!

    ReplyDelete

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *