29 July 2014

Peeing My Pants: A tale of post-partum incontinence.

Peeing your pants is typically territory reserved for the very young or the very old -- you know, the demographics towards whom diaper ads are aimed, whether they be big or small. It shouldn't have anything to do with a woman still in her 20s (if only for a short bit), newly made a mommy and cleaning up that kid's messes.

But I've been finding myself in more and more embarrassing pee-pant predicaments than I care to share since the birth of my son. So rather than hiding behind pee-soaked underwear and pretending like none of this actually ever happened, I thought I'd share some places and points where post-partum pee-pees have reared their ugly heads.

Picking up a baby...

Walking...

Laughing/coughing/sneezing...

Sitting on the toilet... (How irritating is this one? I mean, I've been sitting there for 10 minutes already, and I thought I was done, but the moment I start to stand up, I go just a little more. And a little more, and a little more...)

Getting upset... (Insult to injury, anyone?)

It's something almost no one warns you about. But stress incontinence is actually pretty common in post-partum mothers, so if you're a pee-er as well, you're certainly not alone!

Here are some tips to help you avoid some public accidents:

  1. Empty your bladder, and do it frequently. It may seem obvious, but it should still be mentioned. Because after birth, at least for a while, you will not be able to hold it.
  2. Stay hydrated. It may seem counter-intuitive, but the more concentrated your urine is, the more it irritates your bladder, which makes you need to "go" more urgently. So drink that water!
  3. Wear a pad. It may not be fun, but it's reality. Fortunately, they go really well with those diapers in your diaper bag (and if you use cloth, there are reusable mama pads!).
  4. Kegels! And probably more effective, squats!
  5. Carry a towel in your car to sit on. For... you know, reasons.
  6. Learn to laugh. Like I said, this is really common, so you may as well roll with the punches.

Fortunately, it passes (ha!) as time goes on in most cases (and if it doesn't, it may be SUI and would warrant a visit to your OB). In the meantime, just pack an extra pair of underwear in your purse, no big.

But the embarrassment, especially that time when you think you can hold it as you walk through the grocery store, and you suddenly realize that you can't anymore (see #1)... that may last a lifetime.


Erm... not that that's ever happened...


If you like what you just read please click to send a quick vote for me on Top Mommy Blogs- The best mommy blog directory featuring top mom bloggers

2 comments:

  1. I didn't even push my kid out, and I pee when I sneeze sometimes. The worst is sneezing when you get out of the shower. So you're naked. And you pee on your foot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Been there for sure. So um... yeah, I know what you mean. Solidarity, my sister in incontinence! ;)

      Delete

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *