31 January 2013

Pregnancy: 28w

We had our first childbirth class on Monday! It was pretty uneventful, but I think it's going to be very helpful for Matt. :) We watched a short water birth video, and the guys in the class were all, "Oh, OH, OH MY GOD." It wasn't even that bad. ;)

Next week... that one will apparently be bad. LOLOL

I'm really happy we picked this woman as our doula! I think she's going to be wonderful support for both me and Matt, and I'm looking forward to seeing how she springs into action, haha. Guess we'll find out in about three months...!!

What I love: I guess this is both a "love" and a "dislike". Not quite a "hate", but when they're stronger, they're definitely ridiculous. Kit rolls like crazy, and I can feel almost all of them. He'll scrape his body parts against my stomach and just make me jump sometimes! He also loves to do it while I'm lying on my side, scraping himself against my stomach where I'm lying. THAT hurts a bit. But it reassures me that he's moving. ;)

I also love that I went to scope a daycare for the second time to ask specifically about cloth diapering, and when I showed them the diapers, they LOVED THEM. Seriously loved them. Too bad they're $50 more per week now than the place we're registered for. I guess I have to convince them... or see if Matt can bring them down, lol.

And finally, awesome attorney-boss is all into Project Life, so we've been nerding out about that. I've become even more inspired by Melissa's recent post on her baby album for her son, and of course I forwarded it along to my boss, who was like, "This is AWESOME. And you're lucky to know her."

Yes, yes I am. :) For more than PL!

What I hate: My bigger belly, if only because I’m super self-conscious about it. [Same]

What I miss: My body, lol. [Same]

What I’m looking forward to the most: Our baby shower!! It's a week from Saturday, and I'm SO excited. I'm probably more excited to get down to FL to visit family, though! :D

Worries: Cesarean delivery. I'm still freaking out a bit about that.

Symptoms: A bigger belly, pregnancy rhinitis, and soooooo tiiiiiiired. [Same] I'm also getting some RLP... about time, I guess! It's all in the front of my pelvis. Not sure if it's due to yoga yesterday or actual RLP, but I'm anticipating it, anyway!

Mood: Good! I feel balanced again, which is nice. [Same]

Sleep: Good, for the most part. Kit really likes to snuggle or whatever he’s doing when I lay on my left side, which wakes me up sometimes. He’s a silly baby. :)

Movement: Lots of it! Mostly rolls and nudges rather than hard kicks, it's coming down to, but he still moves a LOT.

The belly (and the button!): Bigger belly, much more shallow belly button. I give it to 30w before it’s at least flat! [Same]

Wedding rings on or off: On!

Weight gain: I’m up 20lbs from my pre-pregnancy weight! Um, so there's a milestone for ya. LOL

Milestones: No matter what you go by now, I'm in my third trimester. :) Exciting!!

How your baby's growing:

By this week, your baby weighs two and a quarter pounds (like a Chinese cabbage) and measures 14.8 inches from the top of her head to her heels. She can blink her eyes, which now sport lashes. With her eyesight developing, she may be able to see the light that filters in through your womb. She's also developing billions of neurons in her brain and adding more body fat in preparation for life in the outside world.

How your life's changing:

You're in the home stretch! The third and final trimester starts this week. If you're like most women, you'll gain about 11 pounds this trimester.

At this point, you'll likely visit your doctor or midwife every two weeks. Then, at 36 weeks, you'll switch to weekly visits. Depending on your risk factors, your practitioner may recommend repeating blood tests for HIV and syphilis now, as well as doing cultures for chlamydia and gonorrhea, to be certain of your status before delivery. Also, if your glucose screening test result was high and you haven't yet had follow-up testing, you'll soon be given the 3-hour glucose tolerance test.

And if the blood work done at your first prenatal visit showed that you're Rh negative, you'll get an injection of Rh immunoglobulin to prevent your body from developing antibodies that could attack your baby's blood. (If your baby is Rh positive, you'll receive another shot of Rh immunoglobulin after you give birth.)

Around this time, some women feel an unpleasant "creepy-crawly" sensation in their lower legs and an irresistible urge to move them while trying to relax or sleep. If this sensation is at least temporarily relieved when you move, you may have what's known as restless legs syndrome (RLS). No one knows for sure what causes RLS, but it's relatively common among expectant mothers. Try stretching or massaging your legs, and cut down on caffeine, which can make the symptoms worse. Ask your caregiver if you should try iron supplements, which can sometimes relieve RLS.

3 comments:

  1. Which cloth diapers are you using? I have my little one in Rumparooz, based off of a recommendation of a friend who still is cloth diapering (she just had her second child in the fall). I have to admit, though, that I did use disposables at first, until her umbilical cord stump fell off. The rumparooz can be used for a newborn, but there isn't any way to fold over the diaper to keep it off the cord stump.

    You're also very lucky to have found a daycare that will use your cloth diapers. Tomorrow, I'm going to an open house at the daycare where we registered B (they just opened a second location, which is the one where B will be going) and I'm going to see again if there is any way I can convince them to use her cloth diapers. I just really hate the idea of her being in disposables all day long and I don't want the added expense.

    Anyway, welcome to the home stretch!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We registered mostly for BumGenius (AIOs and pockets), and I've added a couple Kawaiis and Rumparooz as well, also by recommendation. If we don't end up getting a ton of diapers at our shower, we're prolly going to go mostly with Kawaiis and Rumparooz as they ARE cheaper than BGs. :) We're still deciding whether we want to use disposables the first couple weeks or not -- what I've heard is that the meconium could stain the diapers more than other poop can, so we may use them until all that passes. We'll see!

    We're VERY lucky, yes!! Now we have to debate the cost, but that's a whole other issue. It's funny how that worked out: They thought it was the folded diapers with the pins and plastic/rubber pants, and when I showed them the samples (I had a newborn AIO with velcro and a one-size pocket with snaps), they loved them. Like, LOVED THEM. They had no idea cloth had come so far, so when I showed them that, they were 100% down for it. I was STOKED. I really hope they can bring the price down a bit so we can afford them. :)

    I'm actually going to post a "consider this when approaching daycares" post to TCC, so if you have anything to contribute with your experiences, let me know! Good luck with the one you're going to!! Definitely bring samples of the diapers and an example wetbag so they can see!

    Thanks! :D It's becoming so... real now. o_O

    ReplyDelete
  3. Unfortunately they will not accept cloth diapers :/ The good thing is that I can bring whatever disposable I choose for her and they'll only use the ones I bring on her. So I'm going to do some more research into eco-friendly disposable diapers. The only brand I will not be considering is seventh generation. The diapers wipes gave her a really bad case of diaper rash.

    Some of the biggest up sides to this daycare is that they only have 6 children at each location and they teach the children both in English and Spanish. I really would like my daughter to have the opportunity to learn a second language and the earlier the better. I'm seriously considering purchasing the Spanish language Rosetta Stone software so that we can help teach her at home.

    ReplyDelete

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *