27 January 2012

Body Art: The Magick and the Permanence (Pagan Blog Project 2012)



I’m deathly afraid of needles but I've always wanted to get a tattoo, so for my 22nd birthday, my now-husband surprised me by paying for my first (and currently only) traipse into the world of permanent body art. I stressed for weeks as I figured out what I wanted, then worked for about an hour with a tattoo artist to create the perfect design. I twisted my fingers as I waited for my turn, maybe did a nervous shit (ha!), and finally lay down as the artist gave me both a piece of art to last a lifetime and an incredibly adrenaline rush to boot.

The inspiration for my tattoo came from my Pagan journey so far and my thoughts on how I’ve changed over the years. To many people, my tattoo is a simple Costa Rican tree frog; to me, it’s a symbol of evolution, of transformation, of growth from a baby Catholic tadpole to the mature Pagan frog I am today... an identity which continues to grow as each layer of skin is shed to reveal a new, more enlightened frog. I prefer to see my frog from an Olmec point of view: The “God of rebirth”, reborn after consuming itself and thus caught up in the never-ending cycle of life and death.

And it’s no coincidence that early Christianity often referred to frogs as the “witches’ familiar”. ;)

Like many body art enthusiasts, my tattoo was a deliberate chosen act, meant to be representative of a certain point in my life. Tattooing is much more than an art form, exemplified by its roots: A Eurasian practice since Neolithic times, tattoos have been used for purposes in medicine, war, power, criminal punishment, respect for the dead, growth and maturity, and other applications, with different cultures often having different significances and stigmas attached to the practice.

A Brief History of Tattooing in 150 Words (no less!)


The first recorded application of tattoos was on Ötzi the Iceman, a mummified body from approximately 3300 BCE found in the Ötz valley in the Alps. He had approximately 57 carbon tattoos consisting of simple dots and lines on his lower spine, behind his left knee, and on his right ankle; it’s surmised that these tattoos were used as a form of healing as their placement resembles acupuncture. Mummies dating from the end of the second millennium BCE have been discovered all over the world.

The history of tattooing is far too extensive to ever put into a blog post, so I urge you to check out ways in which different cultures use tattooing. For sake of brevity, I’m going to skip over a few (hundred) generations of this history and arrive to present-day tattooing and applicable religious connotations. :)

Today’s tattooing practice has origins in Polynesia; Europeans discovered the Polynesians’ art forms and mimicked their practices, which attracted much interest at exhibits, fairs, and circuses in Europe and the United States in the 18th and 19th centuries. Tattoo “parlors” started to spring up all over the world, and the invention of the first electric tattooing instrument in 1891 made the practice really take off.

Tattooing and Religion


While many ancient religious and cultural groups encouraged tattooing for one reason or another, there are a few that abstain from and even abhor the practice as it lends to a decidedly Pagan bent. Then there are others that encourage the practice, deeming tattoos to have magic(k)al or spiritual origin and meaning.

Judaism

Leviticus 19:28 prohibits getting tattoos: “Do not make gashes in your skin for the dead. Do not make any marks on your skin. I am God.” While the ancient practice of rubbing ashes of the dead into cut skin is an obvious interpretation of this halakha (Jewish law), modern tattooing is included in other interpretations by Orthodox and Traditional Jews.

The Shulchan Aruch, Yoreh De’ah, known as the Code of Jewish Law and a compilation of halakha by Rabbi Jacob ben Asher, also prohibits markings on the body beyond the ancient practice in 180:1. Conservative Jews point to the subsequent verse, which states that “[i]f [the tattoo] was done in the flesh of another, the one to whom it was done is blameless”, to say that tattooing yourself is different from obtaining a tattoo, and therefore the latter is acceptable. This is rejected by Orthodox Jews, however, reading instead that this refers to forced tattooing as was done during the Holocaust; due to its forced nature, it would not be considered a violation of Jewish Law on the part of the victim.

To disassociate from other religions, Judaism also prohibited tattoos since it was common practice for ancient pagan worshipers to tattoo themselves with religious iconography and the names of gods.

While having a tattoo does not prohibit participation in most sectors of the religious Jewish community, the Modern Orthodox community accepts laser removal of a tattoo as teshuvah (repentance), even when removed post-mortem.

Then there’s Reform and Reconstructionist Jews, which neither condemn nor condone tattooing.

Christianity

The same Leviticus verse is often cited by Christians to prohibit tattooing, while those Christians that have superseded the Old Testament with the New sometimes still find explicit or implicit directives in scripture, ecclesiastical law, or church-originated social policy against tattooing.

As Christianization spread among aboriginal and indigenous people, a decline in tattooing also occurred simultaneously as the practice was considered to be a “pagan” or “heathen” activity and was forbidden.

Catholic teachings regarding tattooing are actually rather interesting: There are no prohibitions, and the act of getting a tattoo “for the sake of God”, as the Catholic council of Calcuth stated in 786 CE, was commended as praiseworthy. (This is probably why my parents didn’t spazz too much when they discovered both my sister and I were tattooed.)

Islam

Tattoos are forbidden and even considered a sin in Sunni Islam pursuant to the Sahih Bujhari, as it changes the creation of God: “The Prophet forbade [...] mutilation (or maiming) of bodies.”

Buddhism

Sak Yant Temple tattoos, inked by Buddhist monks, Brahman priests, and Ruesi ascetics, are made of Sak Yant designs to carry protection. This practice is done in Thailand, Cambodia, Laos, and Myanmar. Some Thais believe that protection against enemies is imbued within you when done by a Buddhist monk.

The tools are not at all comfortable; in ancient times, monks used a very hard Rattan tree thorn sharpened to a point and measuring up to three feet in length, while modern tools include sharpened umbrella spikes and coffin nails picked up after a traditional cremation, each of which would be sharpened and attached to the end of a stick for use. These practices vary from temple to temple and with each Yant master.

The inks also vary, from the ancient use of sap from a rare tree found in the east area of Thiland muxed with a small amount of snake venom and cooked to a black pigment, to the use of Chinese ink mixed with aromatic oils and whiskey.

After the tattooing, during which a unique design, method, and meaning is imprinted into the skin, the monk provides a particular kataa, or prayer, to accompany the work. The monk speaks the kataa so that the words blow over into the newly inscribed tattoo, awakening the power within it. The Sak Yant is then said to become alive and to continue growing with its owner for the rest of his life.

I won’t lie, the practice makes me cringe and gives me other visceral reactions, but I completely respect its background, reverence, and spiritual meaning behind these ancient tattoos. ;)

Tattooing, Magick, and Modern Witchcraft


Many Pagans are fully aware of the power of symbols, having used them in their rituals, worship, and magick. Chances are, you’ve come across people in the Pagan community with at least one tattoo adorning their body, whether it is a pentacle, crescent moons, Celtic knot work, a representation of the Goddess or Green Man... the list goes on and on. There are also the less Pagan-identified tattoos such as my own, where totem animals, flora and fauna, ankhs and other Egyptian designs, and other symbols are used.

These tattoos are chosen with purpose, of course, knowing that their symbolism is not only representative of their faith, but of their personal views on that faith, too, to represent one’s growth and experience in one’s Pagan journey. Their permanence lends another story, one which exemplifies how permanent one’s decisions can be in one’s life, including the decision to follow a certain religious or spiritual path.

The actual act of getting a tattoo can be a magickal experience in itself, not just what the symbol means to a person after the fact. Consider for a moment a few things when obtaining a tattoo:

  • Pain is inevitably involved, which is a useful way for you to attain a trance-like state for magickal workings. (If getting a larger tattoo, you might want to consider a friend driving you home...)



  • Shedding blood is also inevitable; as the needle pierces through several layers of your skin, droplets of blood appear on the surface, a symbol of your connection to life.



  • The tattoo is “anointed” afterward with water to cleanse it and begin the healing process. If you desire, you might ask the artist to allow you to bless the water beforehand, thereby additionally charging the tattoo with your energy.


Do you have a tattoo? What meaning does it hold for you?

 

Sources

17 comments:

  1. Very nice post, causing me to reflect and consider.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful post! I've been wanting to get a tattoo for awhile now (a triquatra with a thistle behind it that is similar to a necklace I have) because it means so much to me to have something like the permanently on my body. It's funny how many different religions use tattoos to symbolize faith. Mine will symbolize my Paganism and my Celtic heritage and my brother has a Celtic Cross Tattoo that symbolizes our heritage and his Christianity. Symbols have always been somethings that have fascinated me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. [...] my turn, maybe did a nervous shit (ha!), and finally lay down as … … Original post: Body Art: The Magick and the Permanence (Pagan Blog Project 2012) ← Butterfly Tattoo Sketches | Trusted.MD Network Don't Get That Foot Tattoo Design [...]

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely post. I learned so much!

    I'm a tattoo girl - I get a new one each year on my birthday (or at least get one re-coloured or added to). It's become an important ritual for me. I am so far unable to achieve an "altered state" when I'm in pain - it just effing hurts! - but the sense of accomplishment and relief once it's over with is really intense.

    My tattoos purposely don't have any particular meaning, and that's just fine :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am SOOOOO waffly about tattoos. My mom would have let me get a tattoo at 16, but I couldn't make the committment (THANK THE UNIVERSE). I have always been more a fan of peircings because they're (arguably) less permanent. That said, I've been wanting a tattoo for years, I just can't settle on a design or place. I'll probably get a tiny ant somewhere.

    But last week, the answer came to me, and I am SO excited: Henna. While it does not hold some of the symbolism of getting a permanent tattoo, I am much more comfortable with something I can periodically change and move around my body. I can't WAIT to do my first one (or, I should say, to make MacGyver do it, as it will be on my back or side), sadly, I don't know when we'll have time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have two tattoos; one is a Welsh dragon which my brother and I got at the same time... It was sort of a bonding thing, but the fact we have the exact same tattoo in the same spot was an accident. And the other is a heart with a bone across it that has "Kero" written on it, and has some blue flowers near each end of the bone, which was done for my dog. I've thought about having another; a spiritual symbol of some sort, but since none has spoken to me just yet I haven't done so.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stephanie @ The Coexist CafeJanuary 28, 2012 at 4:06 AM

    Thank you, Sylvanna!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Stephanie @ The Coexist CafeJanuary 28, 2012 at 4:08 AM

    Thanks, Liz! I learned quite a bit while researching. :)

    That's fantastic! I'd love to hear about your tattoos, whether or not they have particular meaning. I love hearing about other's body art, especially since they typically mean a lot to their owners. And YES, the pain... good lord. Totally worth it in the end, but man, during? Like a hot knife on skin, ouch! ;) If you ever find out how to transcend that, you must tell me! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  9. Stephanie @ The Coexist CafeJanuary 28, 2012 at 4:11 AM

    Oh, I love the idea of a tiny ant! For some reason, that strikes me as a really cool symbol on its own, so if you do ever get it... please let me know, I'd love to see. :)

    I've seen so many tattoos go horribly wrong, often due to the artist's or the wearer's stupidity ("REGRET NOHING", anyone?) or because it's "trendy" (if I see one more butterfly or Tigger tattoo, I swear...). You're right in that it's a very permanent thing, even when removing -- that shit has to HURT -- so it's gotta be a decision made with a lot of care. I wish more people took that kind of care!

    Henna is a GREAT idea! I wanted to cover that this post, but it ended up getting way too long. ;) Have you ever had it done before? It doesn't sound like it, but you're going to LOVE the experience. It's definitely a good way to bond, too, with a loved one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Stephanie @ The Coexist CafeJanuary 28, 2012 at 4:14 AM

    Oh, Tori, those sound lovely! How funny, the tattoo that you and your brother have the same. Did you plan the design together? I've always wanted to get a tattoo with my sister... maybe one of the next times I see her. The Kero tattoo sounds adorable, too! He really is a special pup. :)

    Let me know if you have other ideas and ever execute them! I have plans for a couple, but the only issue at this moment is money, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  11. [...] Peacock Tattoos Designs-Peacock Tattoo Idea For GirlsTattoos of Dolphins in the FootBody Art: The Magick and the Permanence (Pagan Blog Project 2012) [...]

    ReplyDelete
  12. Of course I will! I've been trying to pry the secret out of my boyfriend (he's into branding) but I guess it's not really something you can verbalize. Alas.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Stephanie @ The Coexist CafeJanuary 30, 2012 at 1:39 AM

    Hi there, Sam! Thanks so much for stopping by. :)

    Oh, that sounds beautiful! Did the necklace or the tattoo come first? I agree that symbols are fascinating ways to share and discover your faith, especially since so many symbols "cross the border", so to speak, between different paths. Your and your brother's Celtic designs are perfect examples of that.

    It's so awesome to see you around! :D

    ReplyDelete
  14. [...] on a certain letter — last week (and the week prior) was “B”, which led to my Body Art post and several related posts by other bloggers. She also sends out emails with words of wisdom, [...]

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have begun paying for a Greenman tattoo for my back. It will be my very first one! I do intend to do trance work while it is being worked on. I will blog about it when it finally goes in, but for now I have to finish paying for it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Nope; we never discussed what we were having or where. Our parents took us and we examined the designs; me with Mam and him with Dad, and only discovered when we met up at the counter again to discuss it with the tattoo artist that we'd picked the same one. Then we were asked "where do you want it?" and at the same moment placed our hands on our right upper arms and said, "here," (we hadn't discussed that either).

    I linked to the post with photos of the tattoos in it in the post I did recently called "Magaly Tagged Me" if you want to see.

    And, yes, if I ever get any others done I'll let you know. Like I said, I'd like to get a spiritual one done, and I've also told Kelly that I plan on having a special one made for any and all children we have (what that will be will depend on what speaks to me after the child is born; all I know for sure is that the child's name will be a part of it). I'd never have the name of a partner tattooed on me, but a child - or beloved pet - is different, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  17. [...] Widely used Heart plus Flower Tattoo designs Among Most womenChinese Japanese Symbols Tattoo Design IdeasCDC - NIOSH Science Blog – Body ArtBody Art: The Magick and the Permanence (Pagan Blog Project 2012) [...]

    ReplyDelete

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *