05 December 2011

Five Christmas songs a Pagan probably shouldn't like... but feels drawn to thanks to the power of a capella.

[caption id="attachment_792" align="aligncenter" width="300" caption="Buddy Christ approves of Christmas-lovin' Pagans!"][/caption]

In case most of y'all didn't know (though I'm sure I've mentioned it before!), I grew up pretty strict Roman Catholic. As a result, I was bombarded with Christmas songs the day after Thanksgiving and often well beyond Christmas all the way up until... well, let's face it, that's still the case, even as a non-Catholic. This was made even more violent by being a musician -- do you have any idea how many times I've not only heard pretty much every Christmas carol known to man but also played it? In my 14+ years of playing violin, more than any one of us can surely count.

Despite this, I can't help but love it every single year without fail. Of course, my tolerance waxes and wanes about four times as the moon as to how much I can stand in any given week, but when that familiar tune plays over the airwaves (or through the television on my Pandora station), I find myself incessantly humming along. Most often in harmony. 'Cause I'm just, you know, like that.

There are probably some songs that I still sing along to, though, that would make any of my Pagan friends turn up their eyebrows. "That song... you know what it's about, right?" "Oh god, yes! Baby Jesus is born among the cows and the ass as our savior, and there are three kings who go visit him, sometimes accompanied by a little boy who can play drums and who is smiled at by the Lord... oh wait." And suddenly, my own eyebrows turn up.

Why is a Pagan singing songs about Jesus?!

Because they're fucking catchy, that's why. Especially when sung a capella!

And let's face it. Part of it is likely because I enjoy bringing myself back to a time when Christmas was magical. Not magickal, as in spells and witchcraft and all that fun Pagan-y stuff... but magical. Where the world seems to glitter, the air smells of pine needles and cinnamon, and the faintest sound of a holiday carol on your ears in the chilly night is enough to bring you to your happy place.

[caption id="attachment_799" align="aligncenter" width="338" caption="via..."][/caption]

Mine? Watching my seven-year-old shadow dance along the long wall in the family room as the setting winter sun played its orange rays through our front door, open to take in the coolest weather Florida would have for the rest of the year.

... sorry, got off on a tangent. Back to the music! So yes, Christmas songs, often Christian-centered ones, can be catchy as fuck. ;) Don't believe me?

Straight No Chaser
O Holy Night


Who can resist the crooning at the beginning? I mean, seriously. The way their voices meld together... like buttah. I can't get enough of Straight No Chaser during the holiday season, anyway, but this one totally has me doing the whole gospel "put your hands in the air!" thing while trying to keep up with their ridiculous harmonies.

Glee Cast
God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen


You'll have to forgive the quality of this one -- no idea what happened between iTunes and TCC. But goodness... who would have known that a television show could pull together such talented voices that just work when it comes to a capella. That's some tough shit on its own. And I can't help it when Santana starts singing... girl, keep on keepin' on.

The Blenders
Do You Hear What I Hear?

I was recently introduced to The Blenders (via Pandora), and fell in LOVE with them. I mean, in love. If bigamy was legal, I'd be baggin' me one of them. Okay, not really, but their voices are truly to die for! And this song? I really want to hear what he hears and say what he says and... lord (ha!) knows what else. You sing it, Blenders, and I'll listen to it. Over and over again.

Straight No Chaser
What Child Is This?

Yes, another SNC song. But can you blame me? Those percussive notes, I absolutely adore them! And when their voices raise in perfect union... I get goosebumps every single time, I won't lie. They have a great habit of making me sit on the edge of my seat, and I hope this song does that for you, too. It just has to!

Tonic Sol Fa
King of Glory

I had no idea who these people were, but when I heard them singing one of my VERY FAVORITE Christmas carols, I had to know all about them! Not only do I love this song, but the rendition, seriously! What is this awesomeness! I seriously sat for hours waiting for this song to replay on Pandora so I could catch them. Now that I have, I have this song on repeat. Apparently, their moon cycle hasn't passed for the past couple weeks...

5 comments:

  1. I did a post a couple of years ago with a couple of the songs sung around this time of year altered to have Pagan friendly wording.

    I know what you mean about them being catchy though. Despite the words I still found myself cheerfully singing along to "Away In A Manger" and "Little Drummer Boy" and a few others while they were playing yesterday while I was putting up holiday decorations.

    Luckily for me though, my very favourite holiday song is, "Rudolph The Red Nosed Reindeer." Although, I do have a certain fondness for "Away In A Manger"... Not because of the words, but because it reminds me of the fun and excitement of school concerts done around the holidays, and carol singing done for the elderly when I was in Girl Guides.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stephanie @ The Coexist CafeDecember 6, 2011 at 7:41 AM

    I've seen (and heard, and I think even sang!) songs like that before! Like "Silent Night, Yuletide Night" or something like that. I'm hoping to find a CD or something of Pagan- and Jewish-oriented holiday songs (except "Dreidel," lol) to play when we have kids, but I'm having the darnedest time. Hmm...

    Ah, that's a good point, too! I forgot that we used to sing popular Christmas carols at school and at old folks' homes when I was a Girl Scout -- it's funny to hear they did that over the pond, too, though not entirely surprising. ;) With as often as we hear and even sing them, I guess it's no wonder that even a non-Christian would be familiar with and even enjoy religious Christmas songs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I spotted a CD of Pagan themed holiday songs a little while ago, but now I can't remember where and it's bugging me, because I want it! LOL! If I find it again I'll give you the info. Can't help with Jewish ones, since I didn't know there were any other than the dradle song.

    I'm looking forward to reading about how you celebrate both holidays together.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stephanie @ The Coexist CafeDecember 7, 2011 at 9:50 AM

    Aaaah, yes, please let me know if you see it! I'd LOVE to know what it was! :) And yeah, I'm not sure if there are other Judaism-themed holiday songs around this time of year (unless you count the ones they sing at temple), but it's worth looking into.

    Thanks, Tori! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thought you might like my Pagan themed machinima version of
    A Christmas Carol
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9SBebs3A5I
    Merry Christmas

    ReplyDelete

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *