10 July 2013

Project: Clothespin Photo Frame

frame done 2


A friend at work has been asking me to share my photo frame with everyone on Pinterest, so here it is! This was a really quick project that took me a night to accomplish, and it took very little artistic skill. (Trust me. It needs to if I can do it!)

I wanted a frame that I could keep at work so I could see Tycho all the time, but be able to easily trade out photos as he grows up. No fuss, no muss... and thus, the clothespin photo frame was created!

What you'll need:

* a photo frame (the bigger, the better!)
* acrylic paint of your color choice
* a cheapie paint sponge thing
* ribbon of your choice
* a hammer (or other slammy-type object)
* thumbtacks
* clothespins of your choice (I used the baby shower ones from Michael's)
* lots and lots of pictures!

This idea actually came to me after finding a photo frame for $10, originally $50. Y'all know how expensive frames can be! I was THRILLED to find such a cheap one with such a nice design.

frame 1

ASSEMBLE THE HORDE... uh, your materials. I ended up not using the chalkboard paint, but I've got it on hand for future projects!

And those beautiful flowers? Those are from Matt, for our 8-year dating anniversary (25 June). Aren't they gorgeous?! :)

frame 2

Disassemble your frame. All you're going to need at this point is the frame itself; you can ditch the backing and the signature board thing.

frame 3

Ditch the glass, too, but be careful when removing it. Mine shattered! Cheap for a reason, right?

frame 4

Paint the frame with whatever color you prefer. Or don't! I ended up painting mine because I hated that brassy color.

frame 5

Just one coat and I was done! I didn't cover the brass entirely as I liked the antique look that one coat gave.

frame 6

Measure out your ribbon and cut. Leave enough at the ends to fold over the end for extra support. Hammer down the ribbon to adjacent sides of the frame, getting as close to the frame edge as you can (hard to describe; see the photo above -- you want to be as far from the back of the frame as possible as the photos will be free-floating).

You'll want to measure how much room you want between each ribbon, too. I wanted mine to hold portrait-length photos with a bit of overlap.

frame 7

Test it out! Grab some clothespins and hang a few photos from your ribbons.

And voila, you're done! I hung mine up with a couple regular tacks. :)

frame done 1

No comments:

Post a Comment

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *