26 July 2013

Bronze Boobies, Bronze Bottles... and tarnished views. ((Wo)man In the Mirror)

[caption id="attachment_1887" align="aligncenter" width="500"]formula feeding 1 Yum yum yum. :)[/caption]

I've been reading a lot from the Fearless Formula Feeder lately, and today I came across a post that shared the comments formula-feeders receive on the way they feed their children. That post highlighted a particular comment from a BabyCenter thread:
Disclaimer: feeding your baby is the most important thing and moms should do that in whichever way is necessary. HOWEVER....

The past three months, I dealt with cracked bleeding nipples, trying to wean off a shield which now makes it hurt every time she latches still, double mastits, thrush, growth spurts where I thought my tits were going to fall off, not being able to take some time to myself because no one else can feed her, rude comments for feeding my child in public, plus many other obstacles.

I could have chose to throw some powder and water into a bottle and have my husband feed her but I powered through and THAT is why I deserve an "award" and you don't.

Harsh? Yes. True? Yes.

(One wonders why she bothered with the disclaimer in the first place. :P)

Y'all know all about my breastfeeding failure journey, right? Even now, with Tycho turning 15 weeks tomorrow (where did the time go?!), I feel like I missed out on something, despite the fact that breastfeeding came with a set of extreme challenges that I simply couldn't overcome, physically and especially mentally. I'm not proud that I failed at it, but after a lot of time and being gentle with myself, I can say I'm proud that my son is healthy, happy, and thriving, even on (and probably especially because of) formula.

Of course, not everyone has the same kind of sympathy or support for formula-feeding mothers, and much of the criticism and vitriol seems to come from exclusive breastfeeders. Not to say that all of them do, but there were a number of comments on that same thread about how shaking a bottle wasn't hard, that mothers are taking the easy way out by formula-feeding, that they didn't "suck it up and deal" or that they "didn't try hard enough."

I'll admit: For the most part, the physical act of formula-feeding IS easier. It's not all that difficult to measure out some formula powder, plop it into a few ounces of water, shake, and serve. I can do it, my husband can do it, anyone who cares for our son can do it. Probably the most difficult part of it is making sure all the parts are sterilized properly, that you have the right powder-to-water ratio, and that your hands are clean before mixing formula. (And truth be told, at least the cleanliness is something that breastfeeders who express their milk need to worry about, too.)

formula


However, many EBFers tend to forget that, much like they find pleasure in nourishing their babies, so do FFers. It's using a different method and a different substance, but both types of feeders are giving their babies their absolute best. I know I feel my heart swell with pride and happiness as Tycho gazes up at me, grasping one of my fingers with his tiny hands and occasionally smiling around the bottle's nipple, and I know many breastfeeding moms who feel the same when their babies tug at their bra straps or smile around their nipples.

And in some ways, formula-feeding is hard. It means making sure everything is precise so you're not giving your baby an inadequate amount or mixture of formula; it means the added cost of the powder and the bottles and the freezer packs to keep them cool and the warmers to heat the formula back up; it means hearing your baby cry for food as you carefully measure out exactly what he or she needs; it means feeling just as self-conscious and even ashamed about feeding your baby in the middle of a crowded Target and overhearing an older woman tell her husband under her breath, "Ugh, feeding her kid poison like that."

(Not that I've ever heard that one before... sigh...)

I do understand that breastfeeders catch quite a bit of flak from the community for feeding their babies with a part of our bodies that has become sexualized in our culture. Put those boobs away, there are children around! Can't you just use a blanket? Ugh, so gross for whipping out your titty like that! I get it, I get it.

But while those comments seem to be more a result of our culture's prudishness, the comments flung at formula-feeding moms are more derisive and make mothers question their qualifications as a mother... and are even more painful when they come from other mothers. Like formula-feeding moms didn't care enough about their children to sacrifice themselves and give the baby the boob, regardless of the physical, mental, and other trials those moms may have gone through to eventually come to formula-feed.

The enemy in all this, more than the doctors or the media or the FDA or anyone else, is ourselves as mothers. In a society where women are already put down and questioned for everything they do, we as mothers sure do make it a point to make other moms feel bad about their decisions and their lifestyles, especially when it comes to something as emotionally charged as breast- versus formula-feeding.

Before Tycho was born, I was one of those mothers. I firmly subscribed to the idea that "breast is best", and I went through every effort to make that true for myself and my son, too: We had bottles, but they were only to be used for daycare. I had our insurance company send me a breast pump for when I went back to work. I tried to fix my flat nipples before he was born. I invested in lanolin, nursing bras, pads for leaking boobies, and supplements to keep my supply up.

And all went to crap when I couldn't do it anymore.

[caption id="attachment_1889" align="aligncenter" width="500"]formula feeding 2 Tycho's first DC Metro ride! :)[/caption]

It was my personal experience, my personal "failure", that made me change my mind about what's "best" for myself, and more importantly, what's best for others. Who was I to say that something that never worked for me was best for other mothers, and who was I to accuse a mother of "poisoning" her child with formula or anything else?

I've made it my goal since then to not criticize another mother for anything she does with and to her children, so long as it doesn't actively make their lives worse (as in the case of abuse -- and no, formula-feeding does not constitute abuse!). By doing so, I hope that other moms would do the same and not only decide what is best for themselves, but also not look askance at another family for doing what is best for them.

I've looked at the woman in the mirror, and I've asked her to change her ways... both in how she views herself and in how she views others.

Because nothing is more important than being supportive. :)

13 comments:

  1. I support feeding your infant. If that's out of a breast, a bottle, a sippy cup, a bowl, whatever - great! While I think the BabyCenter poster could have done a better job stating her opinion, I understand where she's coming from, though. Formula feeding comes with its own challenges, but equating the "challenge" of measuring powder properly to the challenge of mastitis (a severely painful infection that causes you to get really sick) is slightly offensive, too. I mean, you know what a challenge breastfeeding can be - do you really think that you face those same challenges daily with formula feeding? I don't think I deserve a reward for breastfeeding, but I do think I deserve the right not to be ashamed of it - just like you deserve the right not to be ashamed for formula feeding. We all deserve that right.

    I'm supportive of both "sides," but I struggle with how to show that. When I post pro-bf stuff on FB, my husband's sister gets offended (she FFs), even though the pro-bf stuff I post is not anti-FF in any way. With World Breastfeeding Week coming up soon, I'm sure I'll be blasted for any BF stuff I post. I've donated my breastmilk to mothers who need it, but I also buy cans of formula when I find a good sale and donate those, as well. But the truth is, I do think that breastmilk IS better than formula. Years of wildlife rehabbing has taught me that mother's milk is better than any formula you can buy. Is breastfeeding "best?" That's up to the individual and their circumstances - you're a great example of how formula is best in your situation, and that's just fine! I'll fight just as hard for you not to be ashamed for FF as I'll fight for myself as someone who breastfeeds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stephanie @ The Coexist CafeJuly 26, 2013 at 7:55 AM

    I can see why comparing formula-feeding to breastfeeding isn't a fair thing to do, especially since they're using two different methods and two different substances. But for all the trials that come with breastfeeding, so do they with formula-feeding (or why a mother would need to FF in the first place):

    - Did I make the right choice by switching?
    - Is my breastmilk killing my child? (In few cases, it is!)
    - Am I using the right formula? Should I switch? How do I switch?
    - Why is my child reacting to this formula? Is he lactose-intolerant? Allergic? Should I go with lactose-free, soy, amino acids?
    - Why is my baby screaming during or after feeds? Is it the bottle, the formula, both, neither...?

    Sure, they're not physical pains (except maybe on the baby's side, depending on how well s/he tolerates a certain formula), but they're definitely painful experiences nonetheless. I hated having to troubleshoot Tycho's feedings once we stopped breastfeeding. I hated learning that he didn't tolerate my milk and that I wasn't making enough to sustain him. I hated learning that he had a milk protein intolerance and would writhe with such incredible pain. I hated that his formula possibly exacerbated reflux, that the reflux was silent and it took forever to find it. I hated having to find a bottle that agreed with him and caused him less discomfort.

    I hate having to carry bottles around all the time; it'd be so awesome to just whip out a boob and feed him, rather than have him wail in the middle of a store while I add formula to a bottle of water (both carefully measured and prepared in as clean an environment as possible) and shake it all up while others look at me funny or want me to shut my baby up. If I breastfed, I'd do it in public, absolutely! It'd be a bit embarrassing at first, sure, but I'd get the fuck over it. ;) Neither way is -- nor should they be -- shameful ways to feed a baby, though I know both sides catch a ton of flak.

    FWIW, I'm still a huge breastfeeding advocate. I wish with every fiber of my being that it had worked out for us, and I had even attempted such things as relactation to make it happen, but that failed, too. But since I can't do it and am now on the other side of this fence, I can see that derision towards FFers exists and may even be harder on us than on BFers -- I mean, BFers aren't called "failed" mothers, at least not that I've seen or heard.

    Anyway, I absolutely support your breastfeeding and am a bit jealous about it, I won't lie. ;) Please know that, even though I post this in support of FFers, I also wholeheartedly back BFers as well. Shoot, I support baby feeders, no matter how it's done, so long as it's in the best interest of both mama and baby!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with everything you've said here, and especially with the reply to the comment. Breastfeeding can be really hard and has its own set of problems that plague it and I'm in no way belittling the effort and stick-to-it-ness of the women who push through these things and manage to EBF. In fact I'd be one of the loudest cheering them as they manage to get through it all. But I really wish they wouldn't use their own stories to judge those of us who choose differently and I really really wish that they would be one of the loudest supporting us in our choices.

    To me formula feeding is actually harder initially and not just because you've got to worry about cleanliness, sterilising, precise measurements and formula suitability. To me it's harder because you've got to reach the point where you accept that something you were putting mighty effort into, something that you've been told (repeatedly) by those in authority is the absolute best and something that according to these authorities could save your child, is just not for you. It's changing the way you think, the way you planned to parent and in a way it's changing your ideologies. If someone wants it put another way: It's like converting to a different religion from the one you grew up with, easy for some people but for most there's a lot of second-guessing and angst.

    I found it difficult to deal with these emotions, and second-guessing and guilt, nevermind what other mothers pile on. And trying to keep your head in a positive space where you constantly remind yourself that perhaps breast is better but it's not always best and that your choice is in fact best.

    And now one year later I've got zero regrets for how I chose. I've got an amazing little daughter, I've got my health and most importantly I've got my sanity and my family is now stronger for what we went through. And when the time comes for baby number 2 I am going to try breastfeeding again. But you know what? If it doesn't work then it doesn't work. If the worst thing that happens with formula feeding is that I end up with another baby like my daughter, well then BONUS!

    ReplyDelete
  4. In my opinion, breast feeding isn't "best." It's how your body was designed to feed your child. It's normal and "natural." I say "natural" because the act of breastfeeding is anything but natural at first for some moms -- myself included. I hope next time it comes more naturally so I can enjoy the experience instead of torturing myself to "get it right."

    I think breastfeeders face a different kind of scrutiny. Sometimes moms who breastfeed face public scrutiny because people think breasts are sexual and find it offensive if someone chooses to feed their child in public. Moms who breastfeed also get flack for breastfeeding past a year. Some people think it's "gross."

    However, moms and dads who feed their children formula face the same public scrutiny. I felt self conscience about breastfeeding *and* formula feeding in public. I was told I was poisoning Riley. I was blamed for "giving up" because I could physically breastfeed but chose not to. I was told, in short, that some women pitied my daughter because I used formula. The message I got was loud and clear: It's okay to formula feed but you have to *really* struggle for it and it has to ultimately be a physical barrier -- not a mental one -- that leads you to the bottle.

    This is my opinion: women should support other women. It's not a pissing contest. You don't get a medal for doing something that is the biological norm. Motherhood is challenging. You don't need to a heaping pile of guilt when you are trying to adapt to your new role. I didn't need to spend 10 weeks sobbing every time Riley latched or feeling gut-wrenching guilt every time I let my family feed her a bottle. I support kindness among women.

    PS - Not saying you don't support other women, but I am addressing the fact that you say it's not comparable. Well, it is. You use a boob, I used a bottle. The end result was the same: a tummy full of milk, a healthy baby who is thriving. Both methods evoke strong emotional responses, both methods are completely valid ways to feed your child. I am a huge advocate for breastfeeding. It just wasn't the right thing for me or my baby. My baby deserved a mother who was engaged and loving, not one who was constantly in tears or on the verge of an anxiety attack.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This. Oh my gosh. You said what I was trying to say above but it doesn't look like word vomit. ;)

    I love this reply.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Elizabeth,
    While I agree that all the hardships you mentioned that BFers go through are just that, hard. Please keep in mind that many many FFers started out BFing, and a lot of us went through, and experienced all of those hardships, perhaps they were what contributed to the end of the breastfeeding relationship, perhaps it was something else. But this whole pissing contest between mothers just distracts from the real issues, and where the real focus should be. Support, and help for mothers who want to BF, and support and help for those who don't, or can't.

    P.s.
    Stephanie, I think we were squint buddies together on TCOYF, and also a few posts about unusual Scandinavian boy names. Great blog post! Nice to see you :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tiffany,
    Perhaps I didn't word my comment well, but I don't believe it is a pissing contest. I think both "sides" have lots of challenges and scrutiny - my point was that measuring formula vs mastitis isn't a good comparison. There are bigger challenges that FF face that would be better compared to an infection. We all need to be supported.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Stephanie @ The Coexist CafeJuly 29, 2013 at 3:51 AM

    "We all need to be supported."

    Bingo. :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. inmyblueheaven from LJJuly 29, 2013 at 2:36 PM

    inmyblueheaven from LJ here. Just wanted to say:

    How have you been feeling lately? I was noting from the pictures that you look thin and the coloring in your face doesn't look particularly healthy. Maybe it's just exhaustion? I could definitely imagine that. In general, hope you're doing well.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I went through utter breastfeeding hell for two months before my daughter finally got the hang of it. HELL. Thrush, suck problems, breast refusal/nursing strikes, pumping around the clock for 7 weeks, frenulum clipping, cracked/blistering/bleeding nipples, several plugged ducts, and 7 trips to the LC, 2 trips to the ENT and one to the speech pathologist. Whose to say that after all that effort it might not have worked out? My breastfeeding journey has given me the greatest amount of sympathy for formula feeding moms--especially those who started out wanting to breastfeed and weren't able to make it happen. While I am happy BFing finally worked out, I wouldn't wish my experience on anyone and my heart breaks for every woman who--like you--tried, went through hell, and couldn't make it happen. SHAME on women who judge formula feeding moms! *Especially* those who had an easy time making it happen! They don't know the journey many FFing moms went through to try to make BFing work and how utterly devastating it is for many moms to be unsuccessful. But guess what? Don't tell the La Leche League, but formula-fed babies turn out just fine. There are some negligible benefits to breastfeeding, but in many cases--dare I say it--the cost required to make breastfeeding happen just isn't worth it. I may now be a BFing mom, but if I hear any women chastise a FFing mom they will get a piece of my mind. Be loud and proud with your FFing, Stephanie, and good for you for promoting mutual understanding.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jill (inmyblueheaven)July 31, 2013 at 1:29 PM

    What I meant to ask is, how has your diet been lately? I forgot that little detail in there. I´ll make a deal with you: if youdon't reply I'll assume it's been good. ; ) Also, I'm going to assume you DON'T recieve comments posted directly to Livejournal, since you didn't respond to my question about whether you recieve comments, which I posted on there. Better to comment here!

    ReplyDelete
  12. As a non-mother, maybe I'm not qualified to give advice. But as a woman, I've dealt with cattiness since infancy. I'd like someone to set me staright here.

    Is there a reason why mothers can't just say "Shut the f*ck up, you judgmental sh*tstain" when criticized by strangers, online or in person?

    I've always wondered. I never really hear that discussed as an option, but I'd high-five any mother I heard responding that way. Peace!

    ReplyDelete

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *