26 July 2011

Lughnasadh is on Monday... and time has run away from me.



Lughnasadh is next Monday, apparently. 1 August, as it is every year. It's not like I don't know this, but for some reason, this turn of the wheel feels as though it sneaked up on me... where did the rest of the time go, where we're suddenly focused on the harvest, the year waning down to Samhain?

I wanted to have a full week of posts for Lughnasadh, but, while I'll have quite a few days with some great information, it won't be a for all seven days. I didn't plan it very well this Sabbat. Who knows why, really -- I could have made it a priority, but instead, I put other things first. Big things, sure, that will hopefully turn into bigger things as the weeks press on, but regardless, things other than Lughnasadh.

It seems almost the perfect Sabbat, though, to experience this kind of feeling, where time seems to slow and events suddenly appear around the corner when, even just a month ago, they seemed so far away. As the Sun gives way to darkness and another year comes to a close, I'm reminded of how short it's been since last Samhain, the last dark night of the year. And I realize... just as the year has flown by, so has life. Just another year stored away like grain, the summer harvested away to remind us that a new beginning, which feels like it'll take forever to get here when in the depths of winter, is actually a lot closer than we think.

Yesterday and today, as I realized that Lughnasadh is mere days away, I actually did a lot of reflecting on life, especially the parts coming to a close and the new starts I'm hoping to reap from them. I'm not entirely sure what the future will hold, but if the gains are any reflection of what was sown, I'm looking at a good harvest to hold me through. More on that as I discover. ;) But this is just one year... what am I to make a priority in the one that follows?

I want to make this coming year about my faith, about my personal Pagan path. I've made my family, friends, education, and career my main concerns for a good part of my life, and while I still want to keep them on top tier, I also realize that I need to put myself first on occasion, and what better way than to learn more about myself through faith and personal introspection. More than just thinking about it, I need to find a way to make it happen.

In fact, think about how quickly this year has gone by already. It's almost August 2011, people! I'm still writing "2010" on occasion, and we're only months from 2012! Whatever your dream, make it happen! Put aside your responsibilities -- some of which are valid, sure, but others of which are only excuses, ones that are holding you back from living your personal dream every day of this incredibly short life of yours -- and bring yourself and loved ones on a journey you'll never forget. After all, you're the only one who can chase these dreams.

A fire has been lit under my ass recently, one with embers bright white and with flames that reach out to every corner of the world. I hope one of these flames reaches you, and that it sets your own passions ablaze with power and a need to pursue your dreams. One day, your own fire will be nothing but ashes; do you want your efforts to keep it alight remembered as futilely rubbing two sticks together, or do you want each bit of kindle thrown to it make it seen by the gods themselves?

What are your dreams, your passions, your goals? How do you want to see your future? And most importantly... what are you doing to make it happen?

6 comments:

  1. You reminded me that this year has gone by incredibly fast and I cannot believe it. It seems like just yesterday it was last year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know... I'm really lucky I started thinking about plans for Lughnasadh so soon after Litha, because even with that I don't have everything finalized, so I don'tknow where I'd be if I hadn't done that!

    The year really has gone quickly, hasn't it? It's hard to believe it's almost August already... Almost time to celebrate the first harvest and begin to prepare for the coming of Winter. Soon the leaves will start to change, and with it comes change in my life too, since - all being well - our move should be happening before Mabon rolls around.

    Maybee this has been the year for change, and for people to find their faiths again - or, make hem more of a priority in their lives than they were, or something? I mean, I've been doing the same this year.

    What are you doing to celebrate Lughnasadh this year?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry for the typos in that post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stephanie @ The Coexist CafeJuly 28, 2011 at 3:10 AM

    Right?! Way too fast for my liking, but what can you do. Just have to ride it out and enjoy things as they come. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stephanie @ The Coexist CafeJuly 28, 2011 at 3:12 AM

    Haha, you planned right! :) I need to start taking a page from your book; I maybe plan for a Sabbat a week beforehand, but that obviously escaped me this time.

    Anyway, it really has! I honestly can't wait for the leaves to change, but I know that winter is just around the corner from that, and I don't know if I'm ready for all that cold quite yet. ;) And yes, you have a lot of changes to look forward to! I can't wait to see how they go for you!

    I'm not sure what I'm doing this Lughnasadh -- like I said, I didn't really plan. My life is currently consumed by the whole DC40 thing (something local to Washington DC, which I'll post about later) and life in general. I might just throw something together this year and really focus on it next year. :) How about you?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Better to do something simple than nothing, right? :)

    Due to a combination of funds being tight with the move getting closer, and the fact it's our first year of doing things together and openly, we're not doing much. We've got a craft kit to do together - a lion "Timberkit"... Not sure if you remember me posting about it a few weeks back? - then we're having a feast based around the theme of bread and apples, and we're doing a sort of meal blessing ritual just before we start the feast. I'll be doing a post tomorrow with full details, then I'll do a post afterwards with how things went and any photos.

    ReplyDelete

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *