04 February 2014

I Chose to Go Back

I learned how to do laundry when I was pretty young. I wasn’t too interested in that or other chores at the time; instead, I was much more intent on playing Doctor, researching diseases thoroughly beforehand and turning a playdate into an episode of House. I mean, what other six-year-old regularly diagnoses her friends with brain cancer or polio or arrhythmia (and forces them to have the symptoms of those diseases). But I still did my laundry, albeit begrudgingly, thinking all the while that I was destined for better.

My mom was a SAHM, and a damn good one, I might add. I saw firsthand how hard she worked: My sister and I are 11 months apart, and when we were able to give her hell (read: When we were born), we made it our life mission to do just that. She cooked, cleaned, kept us kids in line, added a third baby to the mix seven years after my sister, and was sure to greet my dad when he came in from a day of work.

But I never saw myself doing the same.

Instead, I was the mom who counted down the days until her maternity leave was over, who checked her work emails on her iPhone while putting her baby down for a nap. I was raised by a SAHM, and after I got a taste of it during leave, I knew it was a job for which I was not cut out.

I was told that it would be hard. Perhaps one of the hardest things in my entire life. But despite knowing that I wasn’t made to be a SAHM, I still didn’t anticipate just how difficult going back to work would really be. When I went to drop him off at daycare for the first time, maternity leave suddenly felt like forever that passed in the blink of an eye.

Did I miss being at home? Absolutely! There’s a small part of me that nags almost daily about how I should be at home, raising my son and keeping house while my husband goes off to work (hello, 1950s mindset, where did you come from?). We’ve even discussed the possibility of me staying home after Tycho and a possible second baby went off to elementary school and we didn’t need to pay for daycare, a conversation that went like this:

Matt: *looks with disdain around the house* “I’m starting to see the merits of a stay-at-home wife.”

Me: *snorts* “Yeah, if I didn’t have any kids to wrangle.”

(I saw my mom’s life. That shit was HARD, yo, keeping house while two tyrants chased after you, destroying any progress you might have made.)

But for now, I’m completely content being a working mama, and I know that my son is well cared for, too, which certainly helps. Like every other aspect of parenting, there’s no right way to approach the question of whether a mom should stay home or head back to work; me working just happens to be best for our family (and my sanity – to enjoy that one cup of coffee on my own, no distractions? Heaven!). Ultimately, it makes me a better mom.

We all make sacrifices regardless of the path we choose, and sometimes it’s about the sacrifices we’re willing (or need) to make. I’m fortunate that I have the ability to return to work, both financially and emotionally, and I’m equally as fortunate to know that, if I ever wanted to become a SAHM, we could make that happen, too.

Are or were you a SAHM? WOHM? What sacrifices did you make to make that happen?

6 comments:

  1. I was a SAHM for awhile. Divorce sent me back into the workforce as a single mother of five. I agree that there are merits to both, and frankly, I am very proud of you for being self-aware enough to know that you have to be happy in order for your children to be happy as well. They depend on your happiness more than you may realize at this point. While mine was more of a forced choice at the time, I needed more than what I was doing at home to feel fulfilled and happy. Your little one is filled with joy and happiness. Clearly, his daytime providers are doing their job, while mommy and daddy handle nighttime and weekends beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That had to be so hard, to be home for so long then return to the workforce as a result of something like that. You're a strong woman, though, I know you handled it well. :)

      Thank you, Kallan. <3 I know my son thrives when I'm in a good mood, and I know where I'm suited and where I'm not. I like to think his happiness is a result of me being happy, and yes, it also means great caretakers outside of me and his daddy, too!

      Delete
  2. I work at home and raise my 2 year old. IT IS HARD! Especially because if you work at home people think you do NOTHING all ay. Instead you have to live two lives, at least working out of the house I'm sure people don't ask you to work for free for them since you know...you must have nothing to do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aha! You're leading the double life, where you have to balance both while each is within the vicinity of the other. MUCH easier said than done, I can imagine! But yeah, all that free time you have, right? Might as well work for free. ;)

      Delete
  3. Nice share. I have played both roles and equally they have own set of pros and cons. I was blessed to have done both and would not change a thing but I will say I leaned more towards the out of home experience because I enjoy my grown up time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "That shit was HARD, yo, keeping house while two tyrants chased after you, destroying any progress you might have made."

    ^^^THIS.

    Staying home with two kids under three is -- unequivocally -- the hardest "job" I've ever done. And it's not like my work-out-of-the-home careers were walks in the park, either -- the fields of both politics and television news are mother-f-ers, to put it mildly.

    You hit the nail on the head when you raised the point about sacrifice, because no matter which one you choose, you can't escape having to make sacrifice(s). The important thing is that one is at peace with her decision as a mom, which, thankfully, I am; I wouldn't have it any other way. Yes, I am frustrated one minute and happy as a clam the next. But such is life.

    ReplyDelete

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *