29 April 2011

Beltane In A Week: Prayers and Ritual Honoring the Feminine


I fully admit, I am typically not a prayerful person. Perhaps that's a result of being a lapsed Catholic (more about my journey to and through Paganism at a later time) or just because it wasn't the medium of connecting with Spirit that I thought was right for me, but it's not often that I find myself compelled to prayer.

When I do, though, there are some prayers that I find comfort and solace in, and I find myself as well. It tends to be around Beltane, when I'm already thanking the wheel of the year and Mother Earth for winter's anticipated end -- and that's even more true since I've moved to Maryland! Other times, I am just in need of something to bring me closer to deity and to the world around me.


A good friend of mine was recounting her business travel with a couple other coworkers earlier this week; the plane they were on was incredibly rocky the entire way, and as they were pulling into the airport on their final descent, the pilot suddenly cranked up the engine and took off again... narrowly outrunning a tornado that was fast approaching the terminal. Amidst the noise of the passengers panicking and the tornado sirens fading away in the distance, my friend pulled out a book of Catholic prayers and handed it to a coworker who, despite being Jewish, started reading them aloud.

There are, of course, books on Pagan prayer that you can check out. It might be handy to keep in your purse, backpack, or bedside in case you're looking for a few words of comfort, some guidance, and a way to draw yourself closer to the God and Goddess. Below are some prayers that you may wish to incorporate in your Beltane blessings as well. You may wish to include a series of Pagan prayer beads, appropriate candles and incense, or even a full circle in which you recite these blessings.


Am Beannachadh Bealltain (The Beltane Blessing)


Adapted from a poem published in Carmina Gadelica, written by folklorist Alexander Carmichael, this poem originally paid tribute to the Holy Trinity of the Father, Son, and Holy Ghost. It has been turned into a Pagan-friendly format for purposes of Beltane and Pagan worship.

Bless, O threefold true and bountiful,
Myself, my spouse, my children.
Bless everything within my dwelling and in my possession,
Bless the kine and crops, the flocks and corn,
From Samhain Eve to Beltane Eve,
With goodly progress and gentle blessing,
From sea to sea, and every river mouth,
From wave to wave, and base of waterfall.


Be the Maiden, Mother, and Crone,
Taking possession of all to me belonging.
Be the Horned God, the Wild Spirit of the Forest,
Protecting me in truth and honor.
Satisfy my soul and shield my loved ones,
Blessing every thing and every one,
All my land and my surroundings.
Great gods who create and bring life to all, I ask for your blessings on this day of fire.



Prayers to Gods and Goddesses


These are prayers that can be offered to the Gods and Goddesses of Beltane, from Cernunnos to the May Queen, recited as a whole or in bits.

Prayer to Cernunnos

God of the green,
Lord of the forest,
I offer you my sacrifice.
I ask you for your blessing.

You are the man in the trees,
the green man of the woods,
who brings life to the dawning spring.
You are the deer in rut,
mighty Horned One,
who roams the autumn woods,
the hunter circling round the oak,
the antlers of the wild stag,
and the lifeblood that spills upon
the ground each season.

God of the green,
Lord of the forest,
I offer you my sacrifice.
I ask you for your blessing.


Prayer to the Gods of the Forest

Spring has come to the earth.
the land is fertile and ready at Beltane,
seeds will be sown, and
new life will begin once more.
Hail, great gods of the land!
Hail, gods of resurrected life!
Hail, Cernunnos, Osiris, Herne, and Bacchus!
Let the soil open up
and mother earth's fertile womb
receive the seeds of life
as we welcome the spring.


Prayer Honoring the May Queen

The leaves are budding across the land
on the ash and oak and hawthorn trees.
Magic rises around us in the forest
and the hedges are filled with laughter and love.
Dear lady, we offer you a gift,
a gathering of flowers picked by our hands,
woven into the circle of endless life.
The bright colors of nature herself
blend together to honor you,
Queen of spring,
as we give you honor this day.
Spring is here and the land is fertile,
ready to offer up gifts in your name.
we pay you tribute, our lady,
daughter of the Fae,
and ask your blessing this Beltane.


A Thanks to the Earth Mother

Great earth mother!
We give you praise today
and ask for your blessing upon us.
As seeds spring forth
and grass grows green
and winds blow gently
and the rivers flow
and the sun shines down
upon our land,
we offer thanks to you for your blessings
and your gifts of life each spring.


via...

Honoring the Sacred Feminine (Goddess Ritual)


This is more the recipe for a full-on ritual involving the casting of a circle per your tradition. It is a simple ritual meant to honor the feminine aspects of the universe, so men and women can both perform it. For this, you will need a white candle, an offering of something that is important to you, a bowl of water, and a handful of small pebbles or stones.

[stand in the Goddess position]
I am (your name), and I stand before you,
goddesses of the sky and earth and sea,
I honor you, for your blood runs through my veins,
one woman, standing on the edge of the universe.
Tonight, I make an offering in Your names,
As my thanks for all you have given me.

[light candle and place offering before it on the altar]
I am (your name), and I stand before you,
Isis, Ishtar, Tiamat, Inanna, Shakti, Cybele.
Mothers of the ancient people,
guardians of those who walked the earth thousands of years ago,
I offer you this as a way of showing my gratitude.
Your strength has flowed within me,
your wisdom has given me knowledge,
your inspiration has given birth to harmony in my soul.

[take handful of pebbles except one and, for each one dropped in the water, state the name of a woman who has touched your life and how she impacted you -- some examples:]
I am (your name), and I stand before you,
to honor the sacred feminine that has touched my heart.
I honor Susan, who gave birth to me and raised me to be strong;
I honor Maggie, my grandmother, whose strength took her to the hospitals of war-torn France;
I honor Cathleen, my aunt, who lost her courageous battle with cancer;
I honor Jennifer, my sister, who has raised three children alone…

[reserve last pebble for yourself and drop it into the water]
I am (your name), and I honor myself,
for my strength, my creativity, my knowledge, my inspiration,
and for all the other remarkable things that make me a woman.

Take a few minutes and reflect on the sacred feminine. What is it about being a woman that gives you joy? If you're a man performing this ritual, what is it about the women in your life that makes you love them? Meditate on the feminine energy of the universe for a while, and when you are ready, end the ritual.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *