05 March 2014


Today, 5 March, celebrates IBCLCs and everything they do for the breastfeeding and new mama communities. I personally wouldn't be where I am today without the help of my IBCLC, so I wanted to take a moment to make a special post dedicated to her. :) Ann, this one's for you!

After battling with thrush, the onset of PPD, and some severe sleep deprivation, I stopped breastfeeding and decided instead to use formula. I was aware of lactation consultants, but I was honestly too tired, too anxious to consider going through the process of finding and scheduling time with one, so with a sigh of despair and a hope for better mommyhood through bottle-feeding, I gave up.

Fortunately, I did find that positive mommyhood, and when I finally felt ready to attempt it, I looked up information on relactation. It wasn't necessarily out of regret that I decided to resume breastfeeding, but I did want a second chance. The first chance I had to give, though, was a lactation consultant.

I wanted to bring my milk back first, so on the advice of several websites and with the encouragement of other mama friends, I spent several weeks pumping, taking my galactagogues, and getting nothing at first. Then one fateful day, I got a drop... then another... and another! I started feeling letdowns again; I watched the bottom of the milk collection bottle fill with milk. I fed Tycho expressed milk out of a syringe, determined not to let a single drop go to waste.

Finally, when I was making enough to provide Tycho with a full bottle of milk a day, I decided to see if he would latch on.

And he refused. Flat out refused.

It was heartbreaking to me, to spend all that time bringing back some milk and have your son cry at your breast. This is what I had worked so hard towards, and it was all going down the drain! I thought there was no way I could get him back in my arms and breastfeeding again.

Then I remembered a recommendation for a local IBCLC from my doula (who is just as amazing and deserves kudos of her very own!), and after asking her for the name again, she directed me to Ann Faust.

BEST. DECISION. EVER.

It only took one appointment to know why she was so well renown in the area. She was warm, welcoming, and attentive, striving to meet your every want and need when it came to breastfeeding. Our first meeting involved trying to get Tycho to latch, and after recommending a nipple shield, we finally had success! She smiled and told us to enjoy it, leaving the room for a bit to allow us to bask in what was happening.

While Tycho was latched, she noted an issue with his tongue, and she asked, "Has he been checked for tongue tie?" After a few precursory questions, including whether he could stick his tongue out (no) and if there was pain while nursing (yes), she asked to check his tongue. Ends up he had a posterior tongue tie, which was immediately recognized and we got fixed that very same day in the pediatrician's office out of which she often works. And she held my hand while snuggling Tycho after the quick procedure, as she could tell I was an absolute wreck over it.

With her encouragement, we continued to practice latching, and I noticed an immediate difference after his tongue tie was taken care of: It didn't hurt anymore! There was better milk transfer! And ultimately, we were able to remove the nipple shield and have him latch on, this time for good.

I'm trying really hard to hide my boob here, lol.

If it wasn't for Ann, we would not be where we are today, and I have nothing but undying gratitude for everything she did for me and for our little family. She helped me accomplish my goal and turned my son into, as she said, a "boob man". Just like his daddy. ;)

So thank you, Ann, to the moon and back. I hope you're celebrated today not only by me, but by the many mothers and babies you have helped throughout your career.

If you like what you just read please click to send a quick vote for me on Top Mommy Blogs- The best mommy blog directory featuring top mom bloggers

4 comments:

  1. this picture is so darn cute i cant stand it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, thank you!! He's such a goof. ;)

      Delete
  2. Awww, Stephanie! What a nice, heart-felt post. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Courtney! ♥ It's the least I could do for my favorite IBCLC!

      Delete

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *